On first oil change

What sadist decided to put the Miata oil filter where it is? I could barely get my hand under and through..much less any kind of an oil
filter wrench. I finally got a pair of dish washing gloves which gave me the leverage but I couldn't pull my hand and filter back out the way I put my hand in.. and I ended up dropping the filter. Then I got a wire hanger and bent it so that it would pick up the filter. Of course all the oil coming out of the filter made a real mess..but I did accomplish my first oil change on my 2000 Miata. So how does everyone else get the &^%$^%$^ filter off and back on without making the mess and burning your arm?
zenmartini wrote:

I never found it that bad on my old '91 but I guess they may have made changes in the intervening 9 years to make it more difficult. But if you really hate the task and plan on doing more oil changes yourself you might want to consider relocating the filter.
This is one example of a kit to do the job:
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID9636&SortOrder=1
but there are probably others. You could always install a cooler while you are at it.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Get your wife, girlfriend, sister, female neighbor, or kid to do it for you...little hands work better than big ones, and "hand tight" is good enough for the new filter going on as well. :) Just let the engine cool off a bit more before they stick their arm in there, and then they can unscrew the filter and let it fall into their hand "right-side up," then bring it up beside the engine and safely out.
It also helps to stuff a few paper towels under the filter before unscrewing it, to catch the excess oil. Be sure to open the oil filler cap on top and drain as much oil out the bottom as possible first before removing the filter.
Jeannie '90 A
Ya, it's a huge PIA to say the least but, I don't recommend that you resort to the girlfriend / wife or child, that's ridiculous. And yes, the NB IS more difficult than the NA was (hard to believe after fighting the NA for years but it's true!).
I generally drive the car up on ramps for the oil change but, once up there and stopped, I crank the steering wheel all the way to the left and access the filter thru the wheel well. By hand it's do-able but still close to a blind operation. If you buy the "end cap" type of filter removal tool (make sure you get one that matches your filter type and then make sure you don't change filter types willy nilly as they aren't all the same size / shape) this works pretty well in conjunction with a 3/8" rachet. Obviously, hand tighten or at least hand start the filter before you use the rachet to re-install it. I find that a properly creased paper plate works pretty well to catch the oil spill and get it into the drain pan. Properly location of this "oil slide" is critical. I'd love to have the relocation setup and love an oil cooler even more but, it never seems to raise to that priority level with kids in college and such.
Oh, and be carefull, I've got a "quarter sized" permanent burn scar from the time I decided I was going to get my arm in there from above, no matter what! Not too smart.
Good luck, Chris 99BBB
Chris, Go buy a "Thompson" relocation kit. Make the change once and you will "never" suffer again. :-) The Thompson kit puts the filter behind the RH headlight. It's so easy, it will make you smile. :-)
Bruce Bing '03 LS
How much do they get for that kit?
Chris 99BBB

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

What's up Chris, google not working for ya? ;-)
They want 190 miata spending units plus shipping for that kit.
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/catalog/item/2577663/2029486.htm
Pat
I guess if I want it cheaper I can watch for one to come along. Every now and then someone buys one thinking it's a good idea and then decides it's over their head to install it properly. I'll watch for this brand though.
Thanks guys, Chris 99BBB

Site Timeline