2000 Rodeo spark plug change

Hello,

I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo with the 2.2 L, 4-cylinder engine. It has about 60,000 miles and is starting to run a slight bit rough. I figured it is time for the spark plugs to be changed.

I was looking for where the spark plugs were located. I found something that looks like a distributor or coil with thick spark plug looking wires coming out of it. They went into the top of the engine underneath a black panel. I removed the black panel by unscrewing two bolts. Under the panel were where the four wires ended. Each wired looked like it stopped right on top of the spark plugs. Each wire also had a 90-degree turn into the boot. On the boot themselves, there was a handle that I can only describe as resembling an old soda-pop, aluminum can opener device. I looked like I was suppose to life the handle on this device and simply pop the wire off the plug. I tried very hard to lift the wires up, but it felt like they were on the plugs very tight.

After I was unable to lift the boots by hand, I tried to lift them with a screwdriver. This caused the little handle to break off. So then I tried to life the 90-degree end on one wire with a pair of pliers. This caused the 90-degree end to shatter. The wire seemed to be unharmed. I then began to lift the boot with a small screwdriver. I was unable to fully lift the boot, but I could see underneath that there was no spark plug. It looked as if the wire changed form into another tube which was plastic. At this point, I realized that I did not know what I was doing and gave up. The car seems to be running fine, so I feel I didn't mess anything up.

I tried to find a Chilton or Hayes repair manual, but the years don't go up past 1997. Does anyone have experience changing the plugs for this engine? If so, can you post how it is done? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks, JL

Hi all,

Would like to know if anyone has any experience with this. Still trying to do this job. The Hayes manual is vague on this engine (I found the manual with the right years).

Thanks, JL

panel

on

boot.

was

on

began

as

car

up

engine?

Here's some more information. I looked at it again today. I was able to pull the boots up enough to see that there is another tube looking part attached to the end of the wire underneath the boot.

This is a close-up of the wire boots. As you can see, I broke the 90 degree bend (plastic) on the second plug wire: http://home.comcast.net/~jolopez1/Isuzu/RodeoView1.JPG

Here is a backup view of the same situation: http://home.comcast.net/~jolopez1/Isuzu/RodeoView2.JPG

Please let me know if anyone has seen this before. The new plugs look like normal plugs out of the box.

Thanks, JL

about

wires

black