Disco Vs Trooper - shocking result!

Page 2 of 4  
Austin Shackles wrote:


Agreed, very true. Kind regards, Erik-Jan http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Erik-Jan Geniets wrote:

I think you are missing the point, Erik-Jan. I *know* that the alternators aren't made by Isuzu. I *know* that aftermarket parts are cheaper. My example was in support of the statement that Jap parts (i.e. spare parts ordered through the dealer network) are more expensive than Land Rover (much earlier in the thread). Genuine Isuzu alternator - 700GBP. Genuine Land Rover alternator - 100GPB approx? Dunno, never had to buy one. Mine have always been reliable ;-)
If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion, you could say that no car has more expensive parts than any other, because you can always find a cheap aftermarket version for anything. And that is nonsense.
--

Rich
Tiggrr - V8 trialler
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On or around Mon, 24 May 2004 18:28:24 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman"

about 300 for a 300 TDi.
aftermarket ones are about a ton-40.
mind, that's the hundred amp big-sod one.
I daresay the more mundane 65A or whatever are cheaper.
hmmm. that reminds me, meant to get new belts for the disco, the ones on it look a bit old.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<Snip> That's about 3 times the population of the whole of West Wales (not counting the sheep).
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hugh wrote:

I used to, but my bed collapsed from all the notches I had carved. Happy days...
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Richard Brookman wrote:

Count the sheep, that is.

--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So, you live in Wales or Cumbria.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

poor sod..
--
ray

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ray Laughton wrote:

Lighten up, it's a joke.
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

so was my comment..
--
RL

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hugh wrote:

Yes, I think I admitted to that a while ago. And your point is?
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If I have to explain it, then it's not worth it.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hugh wrote:

We got the obvious Wales/Cumbria/sheep thing. Was there anything else?
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
writes

either that or australia :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

125 Euro = $150 = about 84 today according to www.oanda.com/convert/classic HTH
--
ray

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David French wrote:

I think you see so many of them because of the looks... They certainly look great.

Agree.
Parts may be cheap in the U.K. but certainly not on the continent.

Has to do with love for the cars. They keep on restoring them. And they should. I love to see all the old one's around. No one is interested in restoring an old Japanese rig. They do not have the looks. They are just trown away and replaced by new ones. The lovers are keeping the old LR's driving not the users. N.B. I would really like to own one of these Australian Defenders fitted with a non turbo 3.9 litre Isuzu diesel engine. Problem, living on the continent: They are only available in right hand drive.

Statistics.....You are right. Even overhere you will find more LR's as Troopers. The latest are rare.

Even the Dutch army uses Defenders as well as Mercedes. The U.S. also uses a large number of Humvee's. Defenders is a minority and they are not street legal in the U.S. anymore. Not available for the local people in the U.S.

I would like to give you 90% because of your serious response.
Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You see so many of them in the UK because they are locally built.. Nothing to do with their towing reliability, maybe something to do with chauvinistic buying habits..

agree

right again, Isuzu stuff is prohibitively expensive.

See above, has to do with traditional buying patterns etc not reliability. Isuzus are very reliable, Land Cruisers probably are too, cant speak for the rest of the Jap 4x4s.

not sure, but if LRs are less reliable then its a moot point.

Noise is something we all have to live with in the SUV world..

They would because of political expediency. Besides, they prefer their Hummers..
--
RL

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ray Laughton wrote:

issue,
Japanese
A four ton towing capacity has a lot to do with it. Small farmers and traders need that capacity.

a
was.
I do not notice much noise in my Land Cruiser. My Isuzu is certainly relitively noisy but it is much quieter than the old Discovery 200TDi and VM powered Range Rover.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Lacking towing capacity details for the Trooper so I'll use horsepower to compare: The only 3liter diesel engine comparison I can find amongst the LR models is the Range Rover which has 15HP more than the Trooper, but its in a much higher price category. The nearest Disco model has 2.5L and 23HP less..

When I said 'we' I meant ordinary Joes who drive off-road vehicles.. Your LC is in a much higher price category and you know it, you snob :)
--
RL

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ray Laughton wrote:

a
meaningless.
why
built..
and
horsepower
the
Well my Trooper has the 3.1 and 113hp. My Land Cruiser has 200 hp yet does not have double the towing capacity nor anything like double the performance towing a reasonable 2.5 tons. In fact horsepower has a very loose relationship to towing capacity. My 2.5 naturally aspirated 67hp Land Rover has the same towing capacity as the Land Cruiser which has three times the power [and performance in this case LOL ]

want
my
certainly
200TDi
I have had lesser vehicles which are also quiet, the X5 and ML270 are not bad considering. The 3.1 Trooper is probably quieter than the later 3.0. All of these are better than any Mazda 323 that I have driven.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.