Installing an egr valve....

...on my 2001 Trooper looks easy enough. I see it on the rear of the block right there on top. I received the replacement today but no gasket was included. Is one required? And is it really as simple as
unbolting the old one and popping the new one on and plugging it back up? ~GJ~

Well. Swapped it out. It does run better too! Cleaned out a bunch of that, what is it, Carbon? ~GJ~
Glad to hear it! You're fortunate that is was a simple job. I had to soak mine with lots of penetrating oil to break it loose after nearly being welded to the exhaust pipe. Note, however, that there may be up to 4 O2 sensors, one on each exhaust manifold (if it's a V6), one before the catalytic converter and another after the catalytic converter.

That would explain why my 'check engine' light is still on. ~GJ~
For some reason I replace egr valve with O2 sensor. They are entirely different, so please disregard my statement. As far as the check engine light, different sensors have different numbers of trips they must make without the error being present before it will turn the check engine light off. A decent code scanner- around $50-60 can read and clear the codes.

If you have an Autozone nearby, they'll check the codes remaining for free. If you ask the guy real nicely, perhaps he'll also clear them for you. Then you can find out if you have any more issues by driving the truck a ways and see what occurs.

Why did you have to replace the EGR? CEL? Here is a link for your P0405 or similar code. If it was the code, a $3 cure would had fix it. http://www.isuzufaq.com /