Re: Thinking of buying a 1998 or 2001 Limited Trooper - any good?

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:04:59 -0400, "rick0001"
At least with the 1998, be prepared for oil usage....our 1998 (purchased new) used a quart of oil every 1200-1500 miles.
It slowed considerably when I put in 15W40, but prior to that, oil usage was higher than any other car I have ever owned.
- -- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com http://surf.to/cnewton ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place-- <delete remove-this. to respond to email>
They have some quirky electrical problems with the 4wd Torque on Demand system (usually the solenoid on the front axel) but otherwise it is a solid well built vehicle. As far as oil usage, it has been hit and miss... my '93 used it a lot, my '99 I don't have to add between oil changes.
Curtis Newton wrote:

In the 3.2 and 3.5 engines Isuzu used short skirt pistons. This allowed for reduced friction and thus increased power but also increased oil consumption. My 1999 Amigo 3.2L uses about 1qt/3000 miles. I have 50K on it now. No problems at all. Very dependable.

We've got two - a 1998 Luxury and a 1999 Luxury Trooper. Isuzu used the term "Luxury" instead of Limited those years. The Luxury is exactly like the LImited and included leather seats, roof console, sunroof, folding mirrors, fog lights, wood trim, electric seats, heated seats, etc.
The 1998 with 98k miles was a purchase we made 3 weeks ago - paid $6,250 - green with grey leather interior.
The 1999 with 65k miles I purchased new - paid $28k - red with grey leather interior.
Let me say, the Isuzu Trooper is a great vehicle and unless you have unusual tastes, you will likely think so too.
My 1999 Trooper does not use oil - I've heard that some do. I once owned a 1989 Trooper, the old style, that did use a quart between oil changes. It was only a minor annoyance of having to put in a quart every now and then but I found that these oil change places 'warantee' oil changes and during the oil change period you can just drive up and ask them to check for oil fill and they will put in more oil free.
Here is a spreadsheet of all the expenses I have in the first 65,000 miles with my 1999 Trooper:
http://www.isuzu.8k.com/First-57k-miles.htm
My advise - if you can get a good price on that Limited Trooper and it is in good shape, buy it.

My 99 Trooper is not the Luxury version, but did come with the sunroof, folding mirrors, fog lights and the heated seats. No leather or wood.

Saw it on your website -nice car!

Maybe your 99 Trooper is not using oil because your not using synthetics..
--
madiba

Might be. I use ordinary 10w30 but have seriously considered switching to synthetic oil. What do you think of switching to Mobil 1 at 65k miles?

Why bother if the motor is running well on 10W-30? Isuzu says (on mine, a diesel) 5W-30 or 10W-30 so it could be the right one for yours too. Turbo diesels with the so-called 'common rail' technology are apparently more sensitive to oil viscosity.
--
madiba

like
$6,250 -

owned
Turbo diesel !! They are not available in the USA. I've noted that they are available in other parts of the world and think that they would have sold very well here in the USA. Where do you live?

I also wonder why they never took off in the USA. The gas lobby? Air pollution laws? I reckon fuel prices are still too low, at $5 a gallon Americans will finally begin to see diesel in a new light. :-/ I'm located in Austria, USE
--
madiba

changes.
and
and
check
The Isuzu motors use oil, thats normal, don't worry about. You'll have to check it every 1000mi or so, if it gets a quart down, put a quart in. Make sure you change it when you're supposed to.