thinking of buying 407

Hi,

I thought I would check with people here first before even considering buying this model. First, I have to say I'm a sucker on car looks, and Peugeot, by far, are best designed cars to me...I mean among normal cars lol

Specifically I really love 407, but I'm not sure if it is a good buy. I mean I read how this model has a lot of electronics, and that people have lot of problems with it. Also several other issues about this models quality were raised. Furthermore, I heard that it's a rough car...at least compared to Germans, that it doesn't give a smooth ride. Can any 407 owners please comment on this? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

__________________

Hrvoje

Right! I have the 407 SE Lux pack saloon with the 136 HDI engine. There is not a lot wrong with it.

I have had one problem, the end of the indicator stalk fell off, and was replaced under warranty.

I drive quite a lot of different cars,, and the 407 is one of the best IMO.

I think the talk of a rough ride depends on what you compare it to. Certainly at motorway speeds it is very quiet, comapered to say a Passat or Mondeo, and the suspension is softer than some. Despite that it still handles well. You do feel the bumps in the road at low speeds, but they don't affect the handling or knock the car off line. I would suggest a test drive if you are concerned about it.

For driving enjoyment I have never found anything better in its class. But last week I drove a new Astra with the 150PS CDTi engine and the "sport" button, got straight out of it and into the 407, and for the first time ever the 407 felt heavy and soggy. But the Astra is probably best in class, since I never felt that after driving a Focus, and one of the reviews thinks the Astra in that form is better than a Golf GTI. I was very surprised at how good it was, having driven every one of the previous four generations of Astra, and having owned two of them. This is a seriously impressive car. It belongs to my boss who says he would have gone for a 407 if his wife hadn't said it was too big.

But I digress, overall I am very happy with the 407. If you wanted a sporty car anyway, you would be better going for the new 407 Coupe, which some consider to be better than the Merc SLK.

Some people have had problems with fuel economy with the 136 HDI engine. At first I did too, but it soon improved and I now get low to mid 40s pretty consistently. I once managed 117 mpg by chugging along for four miles through motorway roadworks in 6th gear. I gather somebody drove one across Australia from Darwin to Adelaide at an average of 73mpg. It can be very economical, but is very sensitive to how you drive it. Much more so than say a Passat. Thrash it and you will be disappointed.

It is the only Peugeot, by his own admission that Jeremy Clarkson has ever had a good word for. He described it as a refreshing alternative to the usual run of German cars, but he found it difficult to get comfortable in the driving seat, and if you are tall or long legged, you might find the same. Also Jeremy doesn't like turbo diesels, as is well known.

As a drive the 407 seems effortless. Laid back and relaxing, just what you need for long motorway journeys. Its style is cool and competent, not "in your face" like a hot hatch. But it seems to treat your boy racers in souped up Novas with contempt anyway, it is no slouch. If you want an exciting drive look elsewhere. If you want a car that leaves you feeling fresh after a 400 mile drive, the 407 might fit the bill.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

Hey Martin,

First, let me thank you for the best reply I've ever got on any topic :-)...LIKE EVER lol

Hehe, I AM 24, but no I'm not into wild driving, I do that on computer, and in real world I like a classy cruise in my car :-). So around 130 hp is very fine by me.

Hm, a Coupe, I've seen it on Peugeot site, but that's still not out, or is it?? I didn't see it in my dealers shop. But also, I'm going for a cheaper model than that, I'm guessing the price will be spicy for that one.

I see what you mean...I'll take your word for it, that it really is a nice ride. The thing is - people don't go to websites, mostly, to say how good their car is hehe, they come to complain and get help, so one may get distracted by all that negative talk if you know what I mean.

Oh I bet Astra is an awesome car...but still I'm sticking to 407, cheaper, and I kinda grew fond of it.

Again, thanks for the great tip.

Reply to
Hrvoje

[...]

Should be released next month here. Prices are going from 29.900EUR to

38.800EUR (without options). For 38.800EUR you've got the 407 Coupé 2.7HDi, which must be a nice car to drive, but it's 1800kg on 18" wheels, which makes me think it's a bit heavy, and tyres not really cheap. Still, would render nice in my garage ;-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Oh I bet it'll be an awesome model, but too much for my price range lol

Reply to
Hrvoje

Why would you think the 407 is competing with German cars ?

A 3.0 V6 407 is £21,000.

About the only BMW 3-Series that falls into the same price bracket, is the pikey-spec 318i SE. A decent 3-Series costs a bunch more, never mind a

5-series !

The 407 is in a completely different class. It's competion is the Mondeo and Vectra, not the German Luxury cars !

Reply to
Nom

No, I would never compare it to German luxury cars, I meant Opel, sorry didn't specify that. Though, I find Opel cars to be very uncomfortable, though very high quality I guess. I guess they changed with that new Astra, which I haven't tried so I can't comment, but if Martin tested it I guess it's true. So only the amount of electronics worries me. Like a friend of mine had a new Megane and had tons of problems with it's numerous features and gadgets. IMO it's one things when Mercs, Jags, Lexus, etc. put features and gadgets, and completely other when Peugeot, Citroen, Kia (which I own now), Hyunday, etc. do it. But this is just my opinion, based on just few things I heard from owner of those brands.

For example my first Kia Sephia ('95) was absolutely awesome quality wise. After 8 years of driving it I had NO problems or malfunctions, just changed breakes after a while. But today I have Spectra with which I have more problems, not THAT serious, but more.

Reply to
Hrvoje

Well, when end of the indicator stalk fell off mine I couldn't switch the headlights off and had to call out Peugeot Assistance (aka the RAC) too switch them off before the battery went flat. But no problems with the electronics so far, touch wood.

Yes, I too disliked the hard seats on the old Astra/Vectra. The new one seemed a bit better, although still quite hard. The 407 is much more comfortable IMO.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

And where do you think the Mondeo and Vectra are made?

Reply to
Martin Dixon

Or the new Corsa...I just don't understand, do Germans LIKE not to have confort in their cars??? My gramps has a Corsa, that car is hard as rock lol

Reply to
Hrvoje

I'm failing to see how that has any relevence ? Surely you aren't trying to suggest that the Mondeo and Vectra are classed as German cars ?

Reply to
Nom

Why not, unless you say "German designed" to distinguish it from "German manufactured".

Vauxhall is rebadged Opel after all.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

Because the Mondeo and Vectra aren't German cars :)

Isn't that a given ?

To clarify : By "German cars", I was referring to BMW, Mercedes, and to a lesser extent VAG's subsidiaries. But you already know this :)

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

Seems they like stiff suspensions, and have you seen the "Helmut's size". Moreover I've heard it was better to drive other the concrete-plates highways. And Germans drive a lot on their Autobahnen, and I would do the same : they're free !

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

What nationality are they then? Both are made by American owned companies, so I suppose you could say that they are American.

You meant made by German owned companies. Thanks for clearing that up.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

No not across Australia that would have been from Sydney to Perth. Darwin is at what is know as the Top End and Adelaide is a long long way south of Dawin. They used two 407 a car and s/wagon and travelled to Adelaide along the Stuart Hwy. Which is a long flat straight highway bascily set the cruise control 100k and point the car south away you go.

Reply to
Keith Holley

I don't see them as having a nationality at all - they're just Euroboxes.

I meant *designed and* made by German owned companies.

But as I said, you already know this :)

Reply to
Nom