Refrigerant

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Rodeo, can anyone tell me what type of refrigerant was used in the US for that year? I need to recharge the AC. Thanks Allen

Check on the Firewall passenger side should indicate what type of freon it takes R-12 or R-134a the newer stuff. Usually the fittings for R-12 are threaded and R134a are quick release like an air hose. I strongly recommend you take it to a air condition shop for an inspection and recharge. Does not take much to damage this air condition system which could cost you upwards of $1,000 or more to fix I know I had it repaired costing me just slightly over $1,000 for compete new system.
It usually costs under $100.00 to refill about $ 60 per lb if it is R-12 considerably less if it is R134a if it is a R-12 system they can convert it to R-134a for a minimal price R-134a is not quite as cold but works OK.
Raining in Phoenix today is a cool 96 degrees. Guess I do not need the Air today but may before the day is over.
Hope this helps I have seen many try to recharge their own some successful others had to pay a bundle to repair it.
Just depends on your skill level and the risk you want to take.
Also depends on where you live if you break it here in Phoenix you basically need to fix it right away as the temperature in your car will exceed 150 degrees.
Good Luck! Hope this helps you make the decision that works best for you.
Gary

Thanks, I will have to examine my firewall. I did notice earlier, I do believe it has the QD connection. My skill level should be high enough, until recently I worked in the instrumentation department in a nuclear facility, but I am sure I can still break it. I had noticed a kit with 134a that appeared to fit the QD but I did not know if this was a universal fitting on all the systems. You have been most helpful.
Only about 90 degrees here in KY but the humidity is dreadfully high.
Allen

I have a 95.5 Rodeo (95 rodeo with a 96 interior and dual airbags, basically) and mine came from the factory with R-12 but was later retrofit with the r134a.. likely yours also has the R-12...
Chuck Burns
That's interesting...our 94 trooper came from the factory with r134a...
Wesley