Can someone please tell me what kind of mustang I have?

Hello, I just embarked on restoring a mustang engine (my first engine restoration project) and have run into a snag. The engine was pulled from a 1966 body; however the code on the block says "C8", and I was told this means that it is a 1968. However, my engine only has 4 main bearings, which my research has indicated that this would make it a

170ci engine, something only made up to 1966. Does anyone have any insight?
Reply to
Jess

Jess opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Well, the end result is that you dont have a Mustang engine...

According to popular knowledge, your car came with a 7 main engine and the latest 4 main six I could find, supposedly ended in 67. And that was the Aussie version

You should be able to find the proper engine if you look around a little.

Note also the aftermarket stuff available to get more performance..

Backyard Mechanic

Just a little extra info....I found a 1968 Falcon brochure online and it shows that the 170 was the standard engine for the 4-door sedan and Club Coupe (see page 9 of the brochure on the following site):

It was an option on the 69 Falcon too...and maybe more, one site has production of the 170 going into 1972:
So, if those later 170's still had 4 mains, I'd say it's a good bet that you've got a Falcon engine.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale