Trooper 3.1TD Engine Heater

Page 2 of 6
Well you can all feel very lucky & I hope this continues for you all, but you cannot avoid facts & all I`ve stated are facts yes the engine was hailed
as the finest diesel ever produced when they run ok they are a Joy but when they go wrong they go big time & unfortunately for Isuzu the Engine failure rate leading to mountainous Warranty claims has nailed the coffin lid down permanently If you can prove to me that my decision not to buy the 3 ltr is not the right one then feel free to state your case One point I would add is that I`m a Trooper fan having driven them for the last 7or 8 years they have never let me down but & rarely cost me money & I drive 30 +k of miles per year. But when there own Technicians are advising against them what should you do listen to few lucky people or those on the front line of this issue everyday ??? Ploggo

following for years. Secondly which tech was that, do you have a link? Could this have been an attempt to get people to by US vehicles?
--
madiba

Well me old friend thats certainly convinced me that I & others are wrong

injectors, there should be a TSB or recall to replace the injectors with a different tip, some other bits and to change the pressure lines.
rhys
Their is no proposed plan to issue any TSI for replaceing injectors. There are ongoing investigations on injectors fitted to Euro III (02 model year) vehicles at the moment with regard to oil dilution due to ingress of diesel fuel in the engine sump.
Isuzu have issued a serrvice campaign relating to injector sleeves for pre-02 models.
Unfortunately, Catapillay - who make the injectors- are having difficulties testing the injectors due to lack of test equipment.
Hope this clears any 4JX1 engine concerns.

Three vehicles in the UK plus rumours about 'problems in the whole world' in that same thread. Celtic hyperbole by the sound of things.. :-/

--
madiba

It may surprise you to learn that the majority of people do not post their problems to the internet or Usenet. Apart from the 3.0 subject there is a water pump shaft failure problem on 3.1 and very early production 3.1 had gudgeon pin problems. On the whole, Isuzu engines have a very good reputation although they are mostly known for medium/ heavy commercial diesels.
Huw

I also searched Google some time ago, after I first heard the rumour - found nothing. I've looked again after reading this thread - still can't find anything much.
If you want Google to return some pages to read - try the following keywords "Land Rover Discovery reliability".
Cheers Andrew
message

The Trooper is certainly not in a class of 'unreliable vehicles'. Neither is it in a class of 'most reliable vehicles'. It is a so-so vehicle which does the job reasonably competently on the whole. There is certainly an issue with those engines which, *if* it goes wrong, is an absolute pig to repair properly. There is also the issue of spare parts prices which have historically been a complete rip-off compared to most competitors. Like most vehicles, it is far from perfect and it has both good and bad points. On the whole it is nothing to get excited about one way or another and that is what most owners want and why they are satisfied with it.
My personal plus points are the space and ride quality. Minus points are relatively high fuel consumption [3.1diesel] long term reliability of minor components and their repair cost. Ours has become rather troublesome after 80,000 miles with electric windows and switches [window and various dash] all failing plus ABS and aircon probs. Suspension parts on the whole last well except for those rear spring assister rubbers which are strewn like dead hedgehogs around the countryside. The chassis is also prone to rust badly. The body is excellent. Serviceability of the 3.1 engine is appalling as any mechanic or diy-oil-changer will point out.
Huw

Waxoyling the chassis is high on my priority list.
Cheers Andrew
message

I have waxoyled my chassis three times with black Waxoyl and it still rusts 'round the rear wheels and fuel tank. The last time was a year ago when I cleaned the rear area thoroughly by pressure washer. The Trooper had its trailer hitch turned upside down, a large chain joined it to a hydraulic loader and the rear was raised until the front bumper touched the ground. It was found that this lift was sufficient to clean and wax about 2/3 of the chassis in relative comfort. From new, it is advantageous to plug the holes in the chassis nearest to and facing the wheel area to stop water and shit entering the chassis and rusting it out from the inside. This is after waxing the inner box section.
Still rusts though.
Huw

You have the 3.1, I have the '99 3.0 common rail.

before. Oil consumption could be a bit lower and the service by Opel is expensive. Roomy? It is, but I could use another inch or two between my knees and the dash..

Continent I only have to deal with salted roads in winter.

--
madiba

wrote

Good. By far the most of them are.

Yours. The 3.1 is entirely straightforward to repair.

Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied, though not excited by mine. It is certainly not the most reliable vehicle I have owned, although it is about average for Japanese vehicles. Toyota has been consistently the most reliable with the added bonus of half reasonable parts. No vehicle is perfectly reliable in my experience though I have had no major failures in the ISUZU other than wearing parts. One Toyota did once have an injector pump failure which left me stranded.

Salt on the roads already. I live on the coast so I get salt air every time the wind blows.
Huw

models available here so my wallet decided otherwise.. :-/

--
madiba

It certainly is.
Huw
wrote

Oh, and you do not have a 3.0 common rail. It is a 3.0 unit-injector engine using Caterpillar high pressure 'oil over fuel' unit pump injectors. A similar system is used by VW/Audi and Land Rover [in the TD5 only].
Huw

Jeepers, you mean Opel/Isuzu lied to me in the owner's manual? If so, is oil-over-fuel better or worse than a common rail diesel?
--
madiba

wrote

Their owners manual is not the most accurate.

It could be much better if executed correctly due to the higher injection pressures possible compared to common-rail. Isuzu marketing seem to want to be on the common rail bandwagon because, presumably, it is too much bother and counterproductive to explain that their system is better. Much easier to answer the question, "is this a common rail engine"? with a "yes" than go into reams of non productive explanation when all the customer wants is a common rail engine. Volkswagen have got this right and they make no bones about their 'pumpe duse' unit injector engines producing more power and torque than rivals cr lumps.
Huw
Sorry Huw,
VW and Land Rover do not use oil over fuel type injectors.
wrote

They certainly do use unit pump injectors. Not the Caterpillar design though. They certainly do not use common rail in the relevant engines. Is that precise and accurate enough for you? :-)
Huw