Trooper 3.1TD Engine Heater

It doesn't work and the switch does not light up unless the ambient temp is low. It actuates the exhaust restrictor which is well known to stick shut. Best to leave it switched off or to diasable it. Pattern replacement exhausts are available with a straight through pipe which means you can dump the critter.

The ceramic heater is just an electric heater fitted to provide instant cabin heat with a cold engine. It works well and needs the heater control switched for maximum heat and the blower on to work. Superb.

Our trooper has

Two fairly small batteries is a more accurate description. This is part of the cold weather package which is standard fit in the UK. It consists of extra batteries, that damned exhaust shit, the good cabin electric fire and the diesel fuel heater element. Also seat heating on many models.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

ceramic

Because it is wrong

No. Apart from heavy soot emission.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Please use some punctuation Ploggo, so we may understand the meaning of your posts.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

There are

The engine heater [that thing that blocks the exhaust] certainly does NOT need to be on for the interior ceramic heater to work on mine. I always thought that the instructions for this in the operators manual was reasonably clear. It also actuates the engine 'idle-up' device when it operates so it should be quite obvious when it starts heating.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

the 3.0TD is available in the US, it and the C223 2.2D engine are the only Diesels offered over there. and the 2.2L is pretty anaemic.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

"Huw" wrote

How big are the batteries? Here in NZ I have an '88 Bighorn 2.8 that cranks and starts fine during winter with a 480CCA battery, tho I normally use a

740CCA so I can power spotlights and other things while it's dark and the engine off. Then again, I'm in a part of NZ where winter temps overnight don't usually drop below 2*C

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

several

relevant.

Nice to see a Welsh spelt name from America. Well blow me down with a feather! Does it sell in any quantity? Is it the same 160hp [approximately] direct injection diesel as we have here? Since it [allegedly] barely passes emission soot tests here, how is it allowed to be sold in The USA where your fuel has higher sulphur levels and where soot emission is therefore higher?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

heating on

Oh! You are not in the USA. Anyhow, it's 1.35am and I am not about to go and look just now. The

2.8 is direct injection while the 3.1 is indirect and slow to start in cold weather without heater plugs. IIRC it has two batteries of about 480CCA.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote

Nah, I'm no Yank, I'm from the Colonies, New Zealand to be precise, Note I call it over THERE, lol. As to sales I don't know, but on another forum There have been comments by Yanks about the 3.0TD engines they own. I've no Idea about how they pass emmissions. But I gather that the 3.0TD is more reliable than the 2.8L V6 petrol.

The yanks hate diesels, I wonder how long it is before offroaders begin to reailse how useful the torque of a good diesel is when offroad, most of their SUVs have some form of large V8 petrol.

Supermarket Warriors!

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

As far as I can tell there is no exhaust blocking system in the 3.0 diesel. If there is, how is it switched? The only switch called (wrongly) an engine heater only controls the ceramic heater (as per the Isuzu workshop manual).

Reply to
Howard Neil

Boring is not important for off-roaders, reliability is. I mean whats missing, a compass? - a GPS screen? Leather fittings? I also doubt the lack of engine reliability in the 3.0L diesel.

Reply to
madiba

Checked Google, hardly a handful of posts with reported problems. Three vehicles in the UK plus rumours about 'problems in the whole world' in that same thread. Celtic hyperbole by the sound of things.. :-/

Okaaay. So thats heresay.

I mean rumours to put people off buying Troopers...

Reply to
madiba

starts

There may well not be. Mine is a 3.1. Have you actually had a look underneath?

The ceramic [electric fire] cabin heater is only controlled by the standard ventilation heater dial. If you mean the rocker switch with a green light and picture of engine with lightening flash, then this works the engine heating and/or exhaust restricting valve, not the cabin electric fire which, as you know is isolated if engine coolant temperature exceeds a set amount. In fact both separate systems are controlled in this way.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

things..

It may surprise you to learn that the majority of people do not post their problems to the internet or Usenet. Apart from the 3.0 subject there is a water pump shaft failure problem on 3.1 and very early production 3.1 had gudgeon pin problems. On the whole, Isuzu engines have a very good reputation although they are mostly known for medium/ heavy commercial diesels.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Its a button with a line drawing of an engine with a graphic of a heater element inside it (sort of spiral - a bit like the circuit symbol for an inductor). Confusing, ain't it?

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

Don't take it that I agree with that notion. I'm glad I bought mine - and think its great.

If it wasn't still virtually as new (but 4 years and 65K miles on), I'd buy a new one from my local Isuzu dealer. They have a LWB CItation 3.0D at an asking price of £21,600 (very tempted).

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

I also searched Google some time ago, after I first heard the rumour - found nothing. I've looked again after reading this thread - still can't find anything much.

If you want Google to return some pages to read - try the following keywords "Land Rover Discovery reliability".

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

I have checked the workshop manual again and the push switch with the green light and picture of engine with lightening flash is referred to as the "full hot switch" throughout. It is clearly shown as connecting to the ceramic heater. There is no reference, that I can find, of an engine heater of any description.

In an earlier post, I quoted the workshop manual as "When the fan control knob (fan switch) turns on with the temperature control knob set to "FULL HOT" (full hot switch "ON), ". The full hot switch reference in brackets refers to this push switch.

There are no other switches (that I can find) that could relate to an engine heater. I can only assume that Isuzu have changed the function of the push switch but never thought of changing the picture on the front. Perhaps it was a late design change, hence the pretty useless words in the drivers manual.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Yes, you are right about the picture. I have just replied to Huw assuming the picture on the button was the same as described by him.

Sorry about the confusion, Huw, Andrew is right and the switch may, indeed, be different to the one you have.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Yes, and in addition I believe it only works below certain throttle/rpm limits - e.g. if you floor it the solenoids are released. I also believe the intake is choked (and/or receives additional fuel) as well as the exhaust. How the hell this warms the engine up faster I do not know! But experimentation in our relatively mild south UK climate indicates that it makes ****-all difference whether you put it on or off.

Paul C.

Reply to
Paul Cohen