Weird shift problem at mid-to-high RPM - 95.5 Rodeo..

at high RPMS, the Rodeo hesitates fairly badly, when shifting from 2nd to

3rd gear

What it does is, it'll pause around 4900rpm, lose a couple hundred RPM, rev up a few more hundred RPM, then shift into 3rd.. only does this under hard driving, and only in this gear (i think.. never drove it hard enough to make it shift from 3rd to OD at that RPM).. 1st to 2nd shifts fine. Under moderate acceleration it still hesitates slightly, though not as much, and light acceleration is a ery smooth shift from 2nd to 3rd gear..

I've checked trans fluid, it's fine..

It doesnt matter if the vehicle has been driving all around, or if it is just started first time for the day.. it ALWAYS does that hesitation.. I'm kinda scared to take it to a trans shop.. seems every time I take one of my vehicles to a transmission shop to get it looked at, they say "oh its fine" and a week or so later, someone VERY serious goes wrong and they say I need a full rebuild of the transmission.. thats happened with 3 different vehicles at 2 different shops.. (one of the shops is run by a guy my folks have known for years.. but I dont trust him.. I had him replace my driver's side power window motor.. and 2 days later, the back passenger-side window started behaving EXACTLY like the other window before the replacement..

Not to mention I asked the guy to replace a single spark plug when he did it, because I couldnt get to that particular one.. and when I got the truck back, the spark plug wires were torn.. BRAND NEW WIRES.. needless to say, I havent taken a vehicle back to him.

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s

Sounds like you've had a history of tranny problems. How often do you change the fluid? How about the tranny filter or have the bands adjusted? To prevent the majority of problems the fluid should be changed every 15K-20K. I know alot of people think that 40K to even 60K between tranny fluid changes is acceptable but IMHO it is not. I've just known too many trannies to die and mostly from those that don't change it often enough.

What climate do you live in? If you live in a hot desert area or drive alot of steep mountain grades a tranny cooler is a must...also if you tow at all. Heat is the #1 killer of trannies.

If it has been awhile I would 1st try changing the tranny fluid....all of it not just what comes out the bottom pan and see if clean fluid helps.

Reply to
milesh

You might want to drive it a little easier... :-) If you're getting to nearly 5k before it goes to 3rd with any regularity, sounds like you're just asking for a transmission rebuild. How hard did you drive your other 3 vehicles that had transmission problems?

I remember driving with a co-worker who was nursing along his late 80's or really early 90's model Dodge Caravan...it was on it's 2nd transmission (before he bought it) and he was easing off the throttle before it clunked into each gear. He didn't have it a whole lot longer, but I think his babying it kept it running...not sure I could have dealt with that... :-) I drive my Caravan fairly hard too on occasion, but I try not to be too hard on it, it's about to roll over 167k...and as far as I know it's the originally tranny (I bought it at 84k).

Did the Rodeo ever have the 10yr/120k warranty, or was it just the trooper? Is it under warranty?

My lowly 2 pennies worth...

Wesley

Reply to
Ntelos

I've never owned a trooper, and only 1 other of my vehicles has had transmission problems and that was a work car that got nearly 100mi of stop and go traffic every night for over 500 days straight, on mostly dirt roads..

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s