high rpm at stop

I've got a 1987 Nissan Stanza, (I know it should be in the boneyard but it's the only thing I can afford right now). It's been running fine until today. When I come to a stop the rpm not only stay high but actually accelerate. As soon as I put the car in gear the rpm's come down to an appropriate level. What's going on? How can it be fixed? Thanks in advance

Reply to
gilmoreguy

Sticking idle air bybass, maybe. Look for a solenoid sort of device on the throttle air body. Another possibility is a stuck distributor advance plate.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

What happens if you lift the accelerator pedal when this happens?

Reply to
Noozer