Purchase a '60 MK-IX???

I currently have a '94 XJ6 which is my daily driver. It's troublefree and I love it. No dings, no leaks, no rattles, but leather is starting to show wear. We went to a Concours d'elegance and my wife found this 1960 MK-IX in the parking lot for sale. She fell in love.

It does need some TLC - no radio, missing light bulb in dash, sunvisors need work. Leather interior looks brand new, body is straight, paint (Black on top, Claret on bottom swoop) is good.

The guy had all the maint recs, shows a fresh engine (3.8L - automatic) about 4,000 miles ago.

He's asking $15,000 - I'm thinking of trading him straight across for my '94.

I'd like some feedback - wife is pushing, she REALLLLY wants it.

Am I crazy to consider going from a 9 year old Jag to a 43 year old?

Thanks for your opinion. Paul

Reply to
pdb

Paul, I currently own an '88 XJ40 and a '67 420 so I know from where you (and she) are coming. First of all, the Kelley Blue book on a 1994 XJ40 (Non VDP) is about $10,500 Retail in excellent shape and only 80,000 miles. NADA on a Mark IX as you describe it is about $14,900 retail. If you can get the guy to swap even, you are coming out WAY ahead. The reason the car was in the parking lot was probably because it will never be a show car. If the numbers don't all match, which is quite likely, the value as a collectors item drops dramatically. IF you are serious about this, you need to take it to an independent that knows Jags. The basic XK engines are all the same for nearly all the early models, the size and compression being to only major difference. Rust would be a big factor, and not the kind you can see. Go to the forum on

and go to the saloons group. Talk to some owners of Mark IXs and see what they have to say. I know they all love their 9s, but they are in a great position to tell you the pitfalls you will run into and what to look out for. I have a friend in Florida who just bought a 9 and is restoring it back to original.

Like any thing else, take a long deep breath and educate yourself. Look at the steak, now that you have been attracted to the sizzle.

With this deal, if it is all that you say it is, you would be trading UP and you would be crazy not to do an even swap. The value of the 9 will continue to trudge upward while the value of the XJ40 has yet to hit bottom. Consider this: my friend bought a beautiful 1992 XJ40 that needed an A/C recharge, a new euro headlamp and a good cleaning last year for --- $2,500.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Well, wife & I drove the 9 yesterday and have decided against it. Too many things that were missing or did not work. Speedo inop, no radio, missing dash bulbs & switches. It really drove well. Plenty of power, nice throaty exhaust. BUT, the killer for my wife was the nice brand new interior - seats and door panels - naughyde! I thought it was leather, but she knew better. I'd still like to own it, tho. It is SOOOOoooooo pretty!! So, my '94 sure drives nice. Paul

Reply to
pdb

Reply to
Classic Car Fair