'94 XJ6 - Oil Viscosity??

I have 65k miles on my 94. It runs like a jewel. I've always had the oil changes, etc , done by the dealer, but this last time I went to a local auto shop. I have every confidence in these folks based on work they had done for me previously. This time they put in 10w-30 oil, and I had been running

10w-40. And I had to leave town on a 1500 mile trip immediately. Now, when the engine is hot, at idle the oil pressure drops down to 1.75 - 2.0 psi, and 3.75 at 2000 rpm. Previously, with 10w-40, the idle would not drop below 2.5 - 3.0 when hot, and always 4.25 at 2000rpm.

My question is this: Am I running a risk to leave the 10w30 in for the next

1500 miles or bring it back now and put 10w40 back in? It bothers me to see the oil pressure gauge waver around 1 - 2 at idle.

Thanks. Paul

Reply to
pdb

Throw in a bottle of STP and change the oil when you return. I run my cat hard so I used 20-50 in the summer and 15-40 in the winter...

Reply to
DieInterim

Well, Thanks for the help. I did throw in a can of STP, plus a quart of

20-50w. The blue smoke puff at startup is drastically reduced, the oil pressure stays a tad over 4 when driving, drops to 3.5 at idle. Don't know if I really did any good, but my peace of mind from looking at the oil gauge is worth it. Thx
Reply to
pdb