Which MK II?

Hello,

I want to buy a Jaguar MK II as an everyday car. Having tried out a 3.4 ltr

1962 model, I found it felt more like a lorry than what I expected of a Jaguar. I thought it should be a perfect blend of a sports car and a luxury car. Am I wrong?

I'm seeking for all serious advice on which model to look for and which should be avoided.

By advance, thanks for your advice

-- Henry Cornil le Verger Bucquigny

74250 Viuz-en-Sallaz France
Reply to
Henry Cornil

Don't forget it is a 1962 car. It had good handling in its day, but it's bloody hard work if you are not used to cars without power steering. It also has a solid rear axle, so you are not going to get the ride quality of a modern car, and narrower wheels and tyres, so you are not going to get anywhere near modern levels of grip.

The old Moss gearbox is unbreakable, but has no syncro on first and is notoriously slow on the other changes - double-declutch or it's 'pause two three' between gears.....many people prefer the auto. Brakes have always been marginal.

Some later models had power steering as standard, but quite a lot have now been converted to XJS rack and pinion power steering. Lots of other upgrades are available, including air-conditioning. Much can be done with springs and dampers to improve the ride/handling. Of course, all this costs money.....silly money if you want to go to the ultimate Beacham spec.

Talk to Peter Hugo at Racing Green Cars - www.racinggreencarscom. He always seems to have a couple of Mk2s in stock and can advise on sensible upgrades for everyday use.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

Better go for an S-type (the original, not the new one). Similar shape, IRS, etc.

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
Comm Clinic