Was there a recall on the 1998 XJ8 Engines?

I have a 1998 xj8 which died last weekend with no warning. The mechanic says there is no compression. I began doing research due to this unexpected tragedy. I have read many comments and articles but none have been definite. Can anyone tell me if there was in fact a recall on the engines? I know there was a recall regarding the throttle for the stalling problems.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
smw4900

There was no "recall" as such on the 1998 XJ8 except on some transmission/drive train components. Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW and a few others DID in fact have a disaster on their hands regarding some of the engines including the Jaguar 4.0 V-8. These engines were manufactured with "Nikasil" cylinder walls that proved to be dysfunctional when exposed to the higher percentage of Sulpher in some petrols -- mainly the US. Simply put, Jaguar had to replace a HUGE number of their V-8 engines because they used Nikasil. The problem is that they have specific requirements for the replacement such as all service had to have been done by a Jaguar dealership and had to have been strictly maintained according to the owners manual plus you must have the records to show this. You need to contact Jaguar and find out what is going on with your particular car.

Webserve

\
Reply to
webserve

Yes there was a recall (at least in the UK) I believe - the service action was something like S491 - google for Nikasil and you will find out more. I believe there were (as already mentioned) pretty stringent requirements for a replacement engine though.

Jules

Reply to
jules