2 or 4.5 gallon compressor

I'm looking at two compressors. One is a 2 gallon and one is a 4.5 gallon. The two gallon is 69.00 and the 4.5 gallon is 89.00 at Pep Boys.

I have never owned a compressor before so I want to ask the group, what will the 4.5 gallon compressor do for me that the 2 gallon compressor won't? I can't see myself using the compressor for air tools (I don't even know if this size compressor would work an air tool) so I'm left with 1. Using it to change the valve seals. 2. Using it to do a leak down test. 3. Using it to fill air in my tires at home. I can't think of anything else though there might be.

Can anyone offer opinions on whether I should get the 4.5 gallon and why. Is it worth the extra 20.00 bucks. What other applications can I use a compressor for.

Thanks for any responses.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

A bigger tank is useful because it allows some air use before the compressor kicks in. Cuts down on the number of starts, which reduces motor wear and tear. But 2 gallon versus 4 is not a big deal.

The key number you want to look at is not gallons or horsepower but CFM (Standard Cubic Feet of Air per minute) More is better. Your applicaitions are not big air hogs so either of these should work.

Either of these are cheap compressors, you get what you pay for. But they should work for you.

I have a Porter Cable compressor with the pnacake style 2-1/2 gallon tank. It drives a roofing or framing nailer like a dream. Compressor kicks off every few minutes of heavy nailing but works for me.

Cheers.

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Roy J