Gasoline $3 a gallon

Coming to a pump near you: $3 a gallon gasoline

Retail prices expected to blow past record high

Get ready to dig deeper into your pockets at the gas station this summer: $3 per gallon gasoline could be headed to a pump near you.

Unleaded gas prices could reach the "upper limits of $2.75 to $3 this summer.

Retail prices will likely surpass $2 a gallon in two separate spikes, one in the spring based on fear and uncertainty, and another toward the end of the summer.

The initial price jump will come during the transition from winter to summer blends of gasoline, which typically puts a strain on supply availability.

While prices peaking at $3 in some metro areas in the worst of circumstances, average prices rising above $2 but reaching the high-$2 range for only a brief period if at all. If any region sees prices near $3 a gallon, it would be already high-priced markets like California and Chicago and would occur only after a refinery outage or two.

The gasoline market will have an irregular heartbeat ... racing at times and resemble brachyadia at others. The overall retail average for the year will be the highest ever, but there will a huge gap between the highest and lowest prices, which could still run as low as $1 a gallon in some states.

Going into an election year, $3 retail prices would spell disaster. Some sort of government intervention should occur at levels around $2.25.

Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

David........ I'm already paying more than 3 bux a gallon and I live right over top of the stuff. Since my gasoline prices are set by subsiduaries of American companies, you'll pardon me if my sympathy level is rather low.

It's really not a big deal.... expensive gasoline is a much better deal than no gasoline at all (you young folk wont remember the line ups in the 70s).

Great Britain has been paying in the neighbourhood of 4 bux a gallon for many years from what I've been told and Europe and Australia aren't far behind.... welcome to the global village....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Erik D.

Guess I picked a bad time to convert from VW-ism to Mustang-ism :-/

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

Don't feel bad. I just purchased an '04 Mach 1. I'm not looking forward to extremely high gas prices.

Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

"Jason Mc New" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

personally, id rather pay much more to drive a mustang. im sure everyone here would too! heh

Reply to
idahoprime

In the 70s, when gas was rationed and you filled your tank (here in California) according to the last digit of your license plate, and the day of the week, and what county you were in ... IF... the supply truck had not been hijacked, and if you got to the station early enough so they didn't run out befor you got to the head of the line.... We were willing to pay whatever the station demanded.

Some may recall the rationing of WW 2 when you actually had coupon books.

And then you go over seas and in the early 70s I paid $6.75 per LITER in Japan, and in the 80s I paid between $6 and $8 per LITER (picture a plastic soda bottle) in Portugal where I was driving a 72 Mustang with a 302V8 and FMX tranny, and except for the area along the coast, it was all 2 lane mountain roads.

So, 3 bucks a GALL>Coming to a pump near you: $3 a gallon gasoline

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday; )
Reply to
V'ger
** Some sort of government intervention should occur at levels around ** $2.25.

God, I hope not. Price controls always encourage supply problems. Let the market decide what gasoline is worth and how much we're willing to pay. OPEC is going to cut supply on April 1st, which will drive up the price. Add to this increased demand for the summer, and you will all see that ever-popular supply and demand curve happen.

Want to see prices drop? Buy less gasoline. Diamonds would sell for $5.00/ct. if no one wanted to buy them.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I'd imagine those things get pretty darned good mileage. I know 20+ MPG can be had with a 289 Mustang and highway gears, a decent bit more with an I6. I'd imagine your '04 gets 25+ MPG on the highway. Anything over 20 is great in my book! :)

Just be happy you're driving a small car. In a couple weeks I may have my '68s engine back together and be driving that daily. The highest I ever got in that was 17 MPG all highway, more typically is 14-15 MPG with my mix. I expect that to drop a bit now that I'm putting a 4 barrel carb on it. Toss in the fact that I've upped the compression so now I'll be running 93 octane, or heaven forbid I need 94. It's worth the cost in gas (for me anyway) to drive a nice looking and fun to drive, but most importantly _reliable and dependable_ car.

At the moment I'm driving an '86 Olds Calais (2.5l I4, 5 speed manual) I picked up from a friend for $250. Great deal to get me by until I could afford a new short block for my '68. I've put maybe $100 into it. Unfortunately it hasn't passed inspection yet, but I've got it all fixed except the back brakes which according to teh DMV are only doing 2.5% of the stopping. I really don't care though, because even like that it stops a little better than my '68 did. So I'll be fixing that one day this week hopefully. Gonna give the Olds to my fiance when I fix the '68 so I gotta fix it right. The one thing I was thoroughly disappointed with about the Olds is the mileage. It only gets about 25 MPG with my driving. I was hoping for at least 30 MPG from a compact 4 banger with overdrive. Pure highway it gets 30 MPG, but that's not enough to make it worth driving a compact car over my Galaxie.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Well, my main duty vehicle is *cough* um, a Honda Element. I am a family man and it's excellent for that purpose though. The Mustang will take me to work, which is a 12 mile round trip, on nice days. It gets about 15 on the highway, though :-/

Reply to
Jason Mc New

I'm paying more to drive my truck than I did with my mustang's and i'm happy. I wouldn't give up my truck, but I sure wish it got the mileage of either one of my mustangs. This 12mpg cit 15hwy stuff is no good, lol. I guess thats what I get for having 4.10 gears, a 351W, and a

4500lb vehicle. Erik D. '94 white lightning
Reply to
Erik D.

I had an '83 F-150 with the I-6 and a manual 3sp w/ OD. I'll be damned if that thing didn't get about 22 MPG on the highway. I had a VR-6 Jetta and it actually got only marginally better mileage than the truck - about 26 MPG hwy. Although, that car did have enough ooomph to get yourself into trouble pretty quickly. Plus it was de-badged, heh heh heh.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

As a former manager of a gas station I take the predictions on what gas prices are gonna do with a grain of salt. There is no way anyone can accurately predict what gas prices will do next week, let alone 6 months down the road. Just too many variables in place. While it is entirely possible for us to see that $3.00 per gallon, I'll believe it when I see it at the pumps. And while I may not enjoy paying that much, I still won't complain to the place I am buying it from, as they have absolutly no control over the prices either.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

We all ready had $3 gas in Phx when the pipeline broke, lasted for almost 3 weeks. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

It's not the stations, it's the oil companies.... like when "conveniently" the refinery has a "breakdown" which leads to a shortage which excuses the raise in price....

Or why gas in on earea is so much higher than another, when the higher one is closer so costs less to transport...

Yeah, there are a lot of variables.... like Exon Valdez.....

"The Truth is out there" X-Files

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday; )
Reply to
V'ger

Bring it on! This is only the beginning. Let the good times roll.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

at 14 Feb 2004, V'ger [ snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just called my dad over in Holland and asked him about gas prices. Unleaded is about $1.20 a liter. When multiply by 3.8 that converts to about $4.56 a gallon. He'd be very happy with $3 a gallon believe me.

Reply to
Paul

What is your source of information for this subject ???

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

Our 65 gets 10 mpg.....wonder what it will get when we make it fast?

Gumby619

"Drive it like you can afford it"

Reply to
Gumby619

BTW, here is a GREAT resource to follow local gas prices!

Spread the word to your family and friends!