93 Cherokee run 15 min then dies

My dad has a 93 Cherokee Sport 4.0 L, 135K in good condition. We are both Jeep owners. His Jeep started dying after about 15 minutes of running. The ignition turns on, all power to everything, the jeep turns over, but will not start. He replaced a broken heater hose several days ago and now this is happening. If the engine is cold it will start. If it sits for 20-30 minutes it starts. He replaced the coil after a mechanic friend steered him that way. I think it is something in the ignition turning off the spark. He can start it, it runs fine then just like a switch it turns off. All electrics still going. It will crank and crank but won't start until you let it set. Any ideas? Is there a relay overheating and killing the power to the ignition system? Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply to
f_wenzel

Let it warm up and then remove the distributor cap and let it dry out. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Does it throw any codes? One fairly common warm up related problem is the crank position sensor located in the bellhousing. Blink the codes out with the key trick or plug a scan tool in.

Reply to
jeff

The crank position sensor located on the bell housing top drivers side is known to get a bad connection on it's plug which causes your symptoms. Follow it's wire to the plug in. A good clean with a spray contact cleaner will fix it if that is it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > My dad has a 93 Cherokee Sport 4.0 L, 135K in good condition. We are
Reply to
Mike Romain

I started last night fine. Then this morning it won't start at all. Cranks and cranks but will not start. New rotor and cap after this mornings failing. Still won't start. I asked him to check spark. He will email back. We live an hour apart. The key trick? I read something about that in this Jeep group. How does it work?

Reply to
f_wenzel

One "key trick" is to turn the key on for a few seconds, then back to off, then to on and start. If this fixes the problem then your issue is with the fuel pressure regulator. You can check this with a pressure gauge on the fuel rail. An old R-12 low side works and they have tools you can borrow from Autozone and possibly PepBoys.

Cutting out "like a switch" indicates a sensor fault. 15 min is too long to be a sensor though, that leads to thermal problems. The CPS sensor could be an issue, but first check codes.

Pulling the codes can be done following the instructions here.

XJ is close enough to the ZJ for that year.

Reply to
DougW

The key trick I was talking about is to turn the key quickly from off to on and back three times, without starting, leaving it in the on position the third time. The computer will then blink out the codes on the check engine light, pausing between each digit. Count the blinks and write down the numbers The final code to come out will be 55.

Reply to
jeff