Instrument panel lights not working

Just bought an '03 Wrangler and drove the 1000 mile journey home with no instrument panel lights (Headlights, tail lights, gauges and warning lights all work fine). After googling the issue, I proceeded down the path of tracing out the issue.

- Fuses were all ok (replaced them anyway)

- Bulbs work fine (replaced them anyway)

- Headlight Switch (ordered a new one and installed with no improvement)

I've checked out the Haynes Manual wiring diagram, which provided little clarification. I thought the headlight rheostat was the issue since it is the only "switch" that affects all of the instrumentation lights. Replacement of that did nothing. All connections appear to be good with no signs of damage or wear.

I originally thought the instrument panel may have a problem, but it's also affecting the A/C Control knobs and radio controls (none of which work either).

Upon closer inspection, I've got a error code of P1687 ("No MIC BUS Message"). Research has yielded that there may be a problem with the CCD Bus, but I have no clue where it is (besides in the dash on the steering column) and how to determine if there is an issue.

Has anyone had to dig this far and been able to find the issue? If so, please HELP!

Thanks, Cory

Reply to
coryangst

Probably not much help here, but as I recall there was an issue with a connector behind the dash coming loose. It essentially killed the dash. I dealt with it on my 99 TJ and I honestly can't remember if I had to deal with it early on with the 03. I do remember there was a TSB on it though. There were a couple of fixes as I recall, dielectric grease and manipulating the connector somehow. It was warranty work so I've let it go from my storage banks. :)

tw

Reply to
twaldron

On old cars this is caused by losing the dashboard ground connection (nut/bolt vibrates loose). Poke a well-grounded wire behind the dash onto the metal to see if they come on. But an '03? Nah, probably not.

Reply to
hillpc

I don't have access to it right now, but there is a recall for some of them because the ground for the dash comes loose. There are two ground wires and the bolts are too small for the threads or something so they tap them out and put bigger bolts in to hold the wires to the dash.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Just bought an '03 Wrangler and drove the 1000 mile journey home with
Reply to
Mike Romain