98 Cherokee 4L I6 Timing Chain - replace?

I've read a bit on the web, and I'd like someone to confirm for me regarding my 98 Cherokee with 4L I6 Engine (105,000 miles):

1) The timing chain does not need to be replaced like timing belts do - it should last as long as the engine. 2) If the timing chain should break, the engine is "non-interference" so I don't have to worry about major damage like bent valves, etc. Is this correct?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
googleid2003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com did pass the time by typing:

That's my understanding, although the book talks about 200,000 miles as being a recommended service interval for the chain.

Reply to
DougW

Good to know. I'm glad I don't have to replace it or worry about it messing up the engine if it does break.

MIke

Reply to
googleid2003

replying to googleid2003, joe simmons wrote: my jeep has 176 k miles the chain is not broken but noisy.

Reply to
joe simmons