timing chain change?

I have a '92 toy pu, with 22re engine.

I have almost 300,000 miles.

When does the timing chain need to be replaced?

and is there any warning?

and is the 22 re an interference or non-interference engine?

j.

Reply to
cognite tute

Best to replace it every 80,000 or so. They might last 200,000, but why chance it? Since the labor costs are so high and belt cost so low, get it replaced when you have other work done that requires the pulley adjustment (A/C, water pump, etc). Carefully inspect the sides of the belt for any fraying.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Reply to
Bill Hall

He said "chain"...

Chains are typically good for the life of the engine. If they wear, the engine may not run all that great.

I had a chain tensioner let go on a 22r @ 200k during start-up. The chain skipped a few teeth, knocking the timing far enough off so the engine wouldn't start. There was no other damage, and actually nothing at all wrong with the chain itself..

Reply to
B A R R Y

It is an interference engine so you don't want the chain to let loose. My 93 22re was making some noise at 215,000 so I changed it. Sprockets, chain, and guides looked OK at that point but the rubber bumper on the tensioner was very worn. The job wasn't difficult and the kit with metal guides was only about $65.

cognite tute wrote:

Newbie here...

What does having an "interference engine" mean? Thanks in advance. I have a

98 Camry AT 4Cyl....

-joe.

Reply to
Joe

My '90 4Runner's chain ate thru the aluminum housing letting anti-freeze mix with oil at 176k miles. It had been making a warning slapping noise at start up for the last 20k miles. Had to replace the timing housing plus chain, tensioners and guides.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Interference = pistons eat valves when belts break. Prolly isn't gonna happen with a chain. If chain gets loose enough it will jump time and run rough , stall, or won't start.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

That means the valves and the piston will hit each other if the timing gets far enough off, causing major damage. In some engines that can never happen (non interference) and in some engines it can (interference). I believe Gates company who makes timing belts has a PDF chart listing which engines are which.

Joe wrote:

Thanks much for your reply, Q.

-Joe

Reply to