Timing Belt

Can any one tell when timing belt replacement is due according to VW?

I have jette 1999(Wolfsburg edition) with 71,000 Miles

I noticed when I car is going on 65Mph the engine is more noisy then is used to be. The car is still in 100,000 or 10 years warranty

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rollers Loft+
1.8t is 105,000 miles but I would change it about 99,999.9 miles if it hasn't broke by then! 2.0l doesn't say but see above. Your t-belt is also part of your warranty, but if it breaks after the warranty expires it will be costly!
Reply to
Woodchuck

In Holland (where I live) VW timing-belts need to be changed every

55,000 miles (=90.000 km). If your cars history can't tell you if the belt has been replaced, replace it. If it breaks, it's gonna cost you a lot of money.

René Golf GT 1.8 16v 1982 Vento GT 2.0 1994 Scirocco GT 1.6 1981 (just sold)

Reply to
"René G.

Thanks for you reply. I am the original owner and belt never being replaced. Since it is still in warranty should I still need to worry about? What happened if it breaks? Will it do any damage to engine?I got quote of $375 + tax from vw dealer.

Reply to
Rollers Loft+
1.8t's bend valves and strand you along a dark cold rainy road. 2.0 normally don't bend valves but still strand you along the road.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Just checked the manual and here what it says

Every 60,000 miles/90,000 Km

  • Timing belt: Replace (TDI only)

That is the only information on Timing Belt in Maintenance Manual. Just wondering why TDI only how about other engines???? I think they have engineered the belt on other engines to last for good(life of engine) otherwise they should have mentioned it on Maintenance manual

Any idea...

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I wrote that t-belts needs replacement after 55,000 miles (90.000 km), but I just rememberred that some engines need a belt change after 75,000 miles (120,000 km). When your car needs a service, than your dealer will tell you that the job has to be done. At least that's what we did. (I've worked for a couple of months at a VW/Audi dealer).

Succes,

René

Reply to
"René G.

Guys check this link on timing belt

I heard timing belt only get lose and never broke? Is that true? Any one here ever had timing belt broke and engine got damaged?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Timing belts do break, but even a loose one (that allows the teeth to skip) will cause considerable damage in an interference engine like the VW.

Interference engine: when the pistons are at the top of their throw, they will impact the valves if the valves are not fully closed.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Yes, I have experienced a t-belt failure. Result: seven valves bend. Repaircosts: 1100 Dollars. But I have to say that it was not a VW, but a Renault Mégane Scénic (my wives car). It's a french car and I don't like french cars.

René

Reply to
"René G.

Very rear they break may 2% of the time other 98% of the time belt get loose and need to replace. This came from one of the senior mechanic who is in this business for all of his life. Other thing to mention when replacing timing that it should align and adjust really well otherwise be ready for noisy engine, knockings and vibrations

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Every 65,000

Reply to
DonnaSnshn

Reply to
verndog

Reply to
verndog

I have seen the 16V engines lose a belt at just 45K miles. I also recommend changing them at 50K miles or 40K miles for peace of mind!

dave

Well, I wonder why there is a lot of confusion about VW timing belts, and the interference engines, and timing belt change intervals. Certainly following the Vw belt change times is fine, under warranty. If the belt fails early and many do, its on VW minus your deductible or whatever else they can get out of you. But,....the difference between 50, or 60, 80, whatever miles , isn't much. Lets say 300 - 500bucks. If you drive 3000 miles a month, that's 5 months early . it cost you the same 5 months early or not. And 65,000 verses 50,000 miles over a possible and probable 200,000 mile car comes too......1 extra timing belt change. or $300 bucks over

200,000 miles.Your way saves $300 bucks over 200,000 miles but may cost you $1500 ,or even the whole car. My way you put on a new belt and idler at 100,000 miles and go to 150,000 miles.Assume 50,000 miles guarantees your belt wont break , which it doesn't,but is highly likely. And at 60,000 miles, not 65,000 miles, 2% break. Which is documented, by VW, and others too. But your way, your second one breaks because your idler bearing wore out at 105,000 miles and trashed the belt. But your first one made it, because the idler wasn't changed, because the idler wasn't shot yet.But you're out of warranty now. So your crashed pistons in the valves cost you 1500 bucks minimum, for a new head and all the related labor, minimum,at less then 130,000 miles, while I'm worry free until 150,000, when I do it again. You do yours at 195,000 miles if it makes it again. And me at 200,000. And Icall myself lucky or prudent . And not worried about driving anywhere anytime and not breaking down .Of course if you sell your car before 150,000 miles the cost is the same,my way or yours, as I wont need a belt at 150,000 miles, because its now sold. If you sell it at 130,000 miles you save $300 over me.......Except I forgot about the head change at
Reply to
verndog