Dropped Fuel Tank

Dropped the fuel tank today. Not too bad. Looked at the sending unit "sock" or tank filter. Didn't look too bad from what I could see. Absolutely no rust that I could see in the tank. .

Since I have this thing dropped I want to replace the stock sending unit with a better quality one. Is there an after market sending unit that is built better than the original?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Hmm, what kind of vehicle are you talking about?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Sorry, 83 CJ7, I6 with Mopar MPI kit

Reply to
William Oliveri

Also, 15 gal Fuel tank

Reply to
William Oliveri

Hi William,

4wd.com sells the socks. Their pretty inexpensive.
Reply to
Paul Brogren

Did you check the air filter on the gas tank vent?

If blocked it puts a vacuum on the tank and the pump can't suck.

I think the dealer is the only place to get the sender.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Dealer charges 85.00 for the complete sending unit kit.

Found it here for 35.00 thanks to another poster.

I'll look for that air filter on the gas tank vent.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

The filter is on the bottom of the charcoal canister and costs about $2.00. They could call it the emissions or evaporative system filter.

I couldn't find aftermarket up here so went dealer. :-( The dealer was close to the same I think, even in our money, so US dollar and shipping, well......

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Do yourself a HUGE favor and calibrate the sender before putting the tank back together - they are 'close' but not dead on when you buy them. I don't recall the exact resistances right now but they are in the FSM somewhere. Use an ohmmeter or just hook the sender up and see what the fuel gauge reads at the extreme swings of the float arm. It's much better than spending time gathering data on what 1/8th tank really means as far how much fuel you actually have left in the tank :-)

Reply to
KurtS

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I can understand now why my fuel guage never went above half tank. The little arm which looks like it acts just like a POT (adjustible resistance) left the surface about halfway up. Looks like a very cheesy setup. That's why I was asking for a better quality after market model.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Mike, I have a 4.0L Charcoal Canister due to the MPI kit. Does this one come apart too with a filter at the bottom?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Ouch....

None of them 'come apart' that I have seen, you have to dig or as in my case hammer and chisel the old filter out and just tuck the new one back in....

I have heard of a couple people that had one they could unscrew it in half to get at the filter but all the ones I have seen and my book says to just dig the old one out.

There is an easy test anyway. Just take off the line to the gas tank or open the gas cap and try it. If it runs better with the line off or the cap open, you have a dead filter.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Down here in the country to the south of Canada, the packaging for the Fram version says (unhelpfully) "crankcase vent". (For those other than Mike, it is a white, non-woven fibre disk about 4" in diameter and about

1/4" thick.)

The reason I couldn't figure out how to get mine out (a few months ago) was that there wasn't one in there. I was looking at the foam rubber bottom of the charcoal pile. If Bill is looking at foam rubber behind a plastic grill and not a fibre disk behind a bar or two, his is AWOL as well.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton
4WheelDrive has the fuel tank senders for US$27 (p/n 5357373), the complete kit with lock ring, gasket and sock for US$35 (p/n 5357373K). JC Whitney has the senders for US$20 (p/n AKC159260U). Quadratec has the senders for US$26 (p/n 55107.02).

Much, much better than the US$150 my local dealer buggered me for on my Cherokee's sender.

[snip]

Reply to
Lee Ayrton