head gasket blown? how much??

I have a 1990 XJ w/the 4.0; 192K miles and have noticed a coolant leak that appears to be coming from somewhere behind the exhaust manifold. I can see several "freeze plugs"(machining plugs,etc.) below the exhaust manifold but the leak is coming from above these. It looks like kind of a "pissing" stream with the engine on. Engine does not seem to have lost any power or running any differently. Head gasket? 'freeze plug' I can't see? something else?

Any thoughts? & How much to fix at a shop.?? I might be tempted to look, but not with winter rapidly approaching in Chicago... Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom Ryan

Probably just the gasket if it's running fine... check your oil for discoloration and excessive capacity. If it's just the gasket...DIY for about $40... shop probably $300+. When the head is off, inspect it and the block for cracks. With that much mileage you may be better off doing a little extra "while you're at it" or consider dropping in a low mileage engine. The effort level of dropping in a complete running engine and changing a head gasket is about the same LOL.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

If you elect to change the head gasket, I recommend checking the head and cylinder deck with a straightedge and feeler gauge before putting all back together. You can probably find the acceptable warp factor in a good service manual.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Just as a point of reference. I just priced out a valve job on a 4.0L head. To Deck the head, a 3 angle valve job, narrow the guides, replace freeze plugs was 260.00 + tax. In addition the gasket kit is another 80.00. So that's 340.00 w/o labor if you plan to have someone do it.

The question is do you want to invest more money in a high mileage engine. If you plan to keep the vehicle it might be better to put a new or rebuilt engine in.

I remember a place around me who advertise replacing an engine with a remanufactured one for a little over 1000.00. Engine, Labor and all.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

One other thing to remember is that if you freshen the valves and the rings are marginal, you're not going to like the results. It's common to see increased blowby and oil consumption after doing a valve job on a very high mileage engine.

Chris

If I dont pass CA smog by this december Im having mine stroked. KH

message

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to