drum brake adjustment, uneven pad wear!?

upon inspection of the drums on the back of a 01xj,

I noticed the pads were almost a 1/8 think at the bottom of the pad, However at the top of the pad there was none left. its like only the top part of the pads are pushing on the wheel and wearing and the bottom portion are brand new, no wear...

does this make sense?

is there an adjustment so that the pads pressure is equal along the entire pad, not just the top portion, cus I have some deaad brake pads now because the tops are worn, but the bottoms are fresh.

Thanks.

Reply to
herman

Your brake adjusters are not working.

There was another thread going on with a bunch of BS happening in it about just that.

If it isn't put together with tension on the adjuster cable, the cable can slip out of the track as the drum gets wiggled over the shoes.

Or your star wheel adjuster has seized up not allowing it to adjust. I use antiseize compound on the star wheel threads so they never seize up and will adjust a brake all the way to metal evenly.

When you put it back together with new shoes, make sure the adjusting arm for the star wheel is not 'cocked' on the wheel, pull it out to the side and pull it down so the cable stays tight in it's track. Then when you start to use it or adjust it from the back hole, the arm will pop into place with the cable still in it's track.

Mike

herman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Driving in reverse and hitting the brakes adjusts most Jeep ones I have ever seen. They are the cable puller type.

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That's what I thought too, but doing the ebrake seems to work also. Had some problems with the ZJ not properly adjusting the rear drums, not sure why as everything is correct and nothing is seized up. :/ The old Chevy adjusted fine with a few quick stops in reverse. It's odd.

Reply to
DougW

The E brakes worked well the other month, now the e brake does nothing at all, pull it all the way to the top, not much resistance.

does that mean anything?

Reply to
herman

Yep.. your ebrake is not adjusted properly. :)

Put your foot on the brake and pull the ebrake all the way up several times. It should tighten. If not then something the adjuster wheel is probably siezed. The ebrake should start giving resistance about half way to full.

I don't work on brakes very often. You might be best to take the Jeep to Midas (yes, I hate midas with a passion) but they do a free inspection. Get the free inspection then fix it yourself. It's cheaper that way.

Reply to
DougW

Sure does.

It means the brake adjusters are not working or the right side adjuster is on the left side and vice versa.

Mike

herman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You need new brakes.

And, they are shoes, not pads. Brake pads are in disc brakes, brake shoes are in drum brakes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, it means your brake shoes are toast.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland