Brake pad wear light

The brake pad wear light on the dash of my 300SDL began flickering lightly a week ago but it flickers while driving but goes out when braking. When the key is in the "ON" position, it does not come on when the other dash warning lights do, but after starting the car, with it still in park and foot not on the brake, it will flicker on and off. Only 2 times in its flickering has it come on at full brightness, mostly it is just a dim flicker, but it never comes on when the brakes are applied and there is not change in the braking feel of the car and no noise from the brakes. Any ideas? TIA

Shannon

86 300SDL 294k miles 80 450SL 218k miles
Reply to
sdp1

The brake sensors are either doing their job correctly (warning you that it's time to have the pads replaced) or you have a faulty sensor. I've had both occur. Sporadic illumination is not unusual but will occur more frequently as the pads continue to wear. How many miles has it been since the last brake job?

Reply to
Josh

Not to worry, in another 500 miles or so the light will be on whenever you step on the brakes. The brake sensor that is mounted in the pad simply grounds to the disk (rotor) and creates the light. My 300SD has about 2,000 easy miles to drive after the light starts to flicker. Rotors usually last about 3 sets of pads. Time required to change these pads is about 30 minutes if you don't have to do rotors and a bearing repack. Cost for parts should be around $30 including new sensors. Good Luck!!

Reply to
dkmcp

You need a brake job done soon.

Reply to