Frozen clutch on AC compressor...worth keeping/selling?

Hey all,

About 2 months ago, wheel that is run off the serpentine for the AC compressor froze up. Well bye bye belt. I couldn't find a garage that wanted to work only on the clutch. Instead they all suggested just replacing the whole compressor (esp since its 120000 miles old). Well, I took the old compressor but have no time or place to work on it to see why the wheel froze. It just bothers me that as far as I know, the compressor should still work. Any thoughts on what to do with it, or anyone near Baltimore want to offer me a few bucks for it? Or do I just have a small hunk of jeep guts taking up space in my living room?

-Brian

-Brian Ondrey Send replies to: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcomcast.net "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

--Walt Disney A&B=LFCI

Reply to
Wolfhounde

Usually when a compressor freezes up like that the bearings are shot. It takes a real expert to rebuild it with special tools. The best thing to do is use it as a boat anchor buy a new one and have it installed by a good mechanic that knows ac systems. It needs to be installed and placed under a vacuum down to 500 microns to make sure the entire system is clean and free of leaks. New oil needs to be added and the proper refrigerant depending on year of model. If you put it on yourself and start it up you will have two boat anchors.

Reply to
HarryS

It depends. Are you married, and how good a sport is your spouse?

If single, you have a valuable artifact that may come in handy at some point in the future as spare parts or the beginnings of a new and exciting project.

And someday, you might get a round tuit and take the thing apart for nothing more than the sheer zen of doing so even if you discover it is locked up like Fort Knox internally. At least you'll have some idea of what is inside a typical compressor.

...then again, if you've been given a spousal dictate....

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

okie yes, admittedly the idea of disassembling it has my fingers itching. I do also have the plus of a fiancee that shares my curiosity, or at the very least understands my "gotta see how it works" obsession.

My only downside is no place to really work on it and I'll be moving soon....decisions decisions.

-Brian Ondrey Send replies to: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcomcast.net "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

--Walt Disney A&B=LFCI

Reply to
Wolfhounde

Reply to
Steve G

Steve G is correct

I had the same problem with my compressor clutch. Found a rebuilt clutch on the web for about $60. A few simple tools is all I needed to replace it. Make sure to get you air gap correct on the clutch. No need to open the A/C system on this.....

Reply to
Andy