Idling Problems with gas conversion

Hi all

I hope someone can help!! I've got a Honda Accord (99) which i had converted to gas a year ago. When I drive the car in petrol mode, its fine and never cuts off. But when I drive in gas mode, its fine for a few days, but then the engine management light on the dash board lights up and the car starts cutting off. This cycle continues all the time and I've been down to the garage where I had the conversion done, but they've got no answers to the problem apart from blaming the car for not been suitable for gas conversion (which they carried out).

Anyone have a clue of whats going on with the car???

Its getting to a point where the car has become dangerous to drive as it cuts off on traffic lights when i slow down.

Please give suggestions!!!!

Thanks

Rouhel

Reply to
rouhel.ahmed

It may be better to post this on rec.autos.makers.honda

Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

Buy a Jeep, then maybe the Jeepers in this Jeep group can help you.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi all
Reply to
Mike Romain

Eat more beans.

Reply to
jeff

It sounds like the gas/air ratio isn't adjusted right, and the engine is getting carbon deposits from running on gas, thus fouling the spark plugs. The gas system either isn't adjusted properly, or has improper parts. A work around is to operate on petrol every few days, or when the car starts cutting off. The real fix is to get the gas/air mixture adjusted properly. A diagnostic is to check the spark plug condition when the problem occurs.

You need to find a mechanic who is competent to service and troubleshoot this system, not just install it out of the box.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

America needs gas. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Another possibility is that the stock spark plugs are not of the proper heat range for use with gas, but I wouldn't know how to recommend the correct ones. This is the sort of thing that your gas conversion kit manufacturer should be familiar with.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That and gas conversions are very picky with intake leaks.

I'm still betting on carbon fouling in the spark plugs.

Reply to
DougW

You haven't seen dangerous yet, wait until it ices up at full throttle. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

The gas company in my town runs their truck on LPG without problems. This used to be a real common problem in the days of single throttle return springs without any gas being involved at all. When did they finally come out with double return springs, 1976? You fellas probably scared this guy off with your anti-Honda pro-Jeep comments anyway. Nobody in the Honda ng has a clue either.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Earle Horton wrote: You fellas probably scared this guy

Earle, this is a Jeep newsgroup. The last thing we need is a bunch of ricers thinking we are the gurus of Honda or something like that.

He posted in the correct forum, a tech one.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have seen a few Jeeps with LP gas conversions, none of them working of course.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The first car I remember my parents having was some sort of Willys running on LP. It looked kind of like this, but it was light blue and white, and without the extras.

IIRC it worked fine until my parents sold it because of the rust in the floor. (They didn't want us kids falling through the floor.) I do remember being sad about that, because it was my favorite car.

I'll ask my dad about it, because since they sold it when I was around 7, the IIRC has a very big If in it.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Jager

My neighbor has one like that. He and it look like he might have bought it new. He drives it every day.

Earle

Earle Horton

I had a 1960, green and white. I miss it.

Reply to
XS11E