Injector cleaner fuel additive?

Hello All A friend who is a Jeep mechanic suggested I use a injector cleaner fuel additive every oil change. Should I do this with my new 05TJ Rubicon Jeep? (16,000 Km's) I don't normally use any sort of additive, but I did do as he suggested and used the STP fuel additive/injector cleaner on my older 01TJ Sport every oil change. Question is do I use it on the new Jeep? If no, when is a good time to start using it, if at all. And what about the Lucas Fuel treatment? I have a bottle and wonder if I should throw it in my Rubie? TIA Frank

Reply to
FrankW

It won't hurt anything except your checkbook. If it gives you peace of mind it is certainly worth that. On the other hand, does it say "detergent additive" or the like anywhere on the pumps where you fill up?

I remember when British sports cars were all the rage in the United States. We often referred to "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness" because that was the brand of electrical components used in them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I've no experience with Lucas products and was never impressed with the STP Cleaners in the past.

I heard the local mechanic-on-the-radio show mention Chevron's Techron a few years back I gave it a try and have been using it since.

Chevron has two products with similar names, one is a cleaner with Techron and the other is the Techron itself.

What products/brands are being successfully used out there?

Reply to
Billy Ray

It would be good practice on your 05 tj to keep not only the injectors clean but the intake manifold down stream of it. It's easier to keep it clean then to clean one up. I've seen first hand the amount of build up that can occur in the intake area in as little as 20k miles. However cleaners don't burn and end up in the oil, thinning it out. Some I've used say to change your oil if you use 2 cans so in your case add it one tank before your oil change.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

There is zero/nada/no need to use a fuel injector cleaner additive, especially that often. All of today's U.S. gasolines contain fuel injector cleaning additives already, and they do contain "enough" of them as well. Stop wasting your money. :)

Jerry

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

FrankW proclaimed:

Or you could just use a "Top Tier" gasoline brand at all times, presuming you take this far more seriously than it typically deserves.

If it made you feel better, great. In general, is overkill.

What for?

Reply to
Lon

Billy Ray proclaimed:

Chevron gasoline with Techron is one of the "Top Tier" gasolines that is claimed to be suitable for The Ultimate Dickhead Machine.

Gasoline.

One problem with too many additives is that you will get metallic deposits on your injectors. This isn't "if some is good, more must be better" technology and the detergent isn't Joy, Palmolive, etc.

A real injector cleaner is a nasty solvent that requires direct feed, and unless your injectors are dirty, a great wallet emptying device and not much else. A real money maker for shops looking for Barnum's.

Reply to
Lon

billy_ray

OMC (Johnson Outboards) sells a 12oz bottle of"Carbon Guard" for about $10.00 & it says to use 1 oz/15gal tank. My Scout has a bad cylinder that fouls out the spark plug enough to cause it to seriously cough & sputter if I use more than 2 tanks of gas without it. Runs great with it.......& not worth a shit without it.

And, yet.........I was reading the owners manual for '06 Tahoe........ it tells you not to use any fuel additive & to do so may void the vehicle warranty

Imagine that.

Reply to
Carlo F. Serusa, Jr RPh

Translation: If you do feel the need to use snake oil, polyether-amine based snake oil is best. :^)

It doesn't say how much to use, either. I would think that once a year, or perhaps once in 10,000 miles, is more than enough, not once an oil change. See the footnote too. "Aftermarket additives are intended to be added by the

*customer*..." If you are paying your local service station or Jiffy Lube to add this stuff, you are not following the instructions. Only the customer is supposed to add this stuff. :^)

Earle

Earle Horton

Thanks for the enlightenment folks :-)

Reply to
FrankW

OK, what is considered 'top tier'? Can we make a list?

I use Citgo generally because the station is right next to work and it is the cheapest around and the vehicles run well on it. Is Citgo top tier? How about others such as newcomer Valero, or Raceway or others like that? Getty is usually cheap too (and they never charged extra for credit cards) - is that top tier?

Reply to
Tomes

I learned something too. They guy with the Scout serves to point out that there are cases where this stuff is not only beneficial, but necessary. I seriously doubt that your vehicle is one of those, but once a year or so won't hurt. Note that one or two of the guys who recommended against this stuff, have promoted pouring a quart of ATF down the throttle, in cases of suspected carbon build up. I am not saying that that is necessarily bad, but it has to be more stressful on you and your engine, than something you pour down the tank and forget about.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My local Dealer suggests I should "purge" the injectors every so many Km's At a very high price too. What about this purging method?

Earle Hort> I learned something too. They guy with the Scout serves to point out that

Reply to
FrankW

I like the additive every oil change idea....

I used to use that method on my old Volvos and it did make a difference in the injectors. They would come clean.

The FI purge is where they put some cleaner in at the fuel rail. Same junk, you are just paying some monkey $100.00 per hour to pour it in.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Use Perriair. :)

Reply to
DougW

Yes, dammit, my wife just phoned to tell me it's time once again to change the air in the Cherokee's front tires.

Grrrr, every time it gets cold out, I have to take it in for an air change in at least one tire. I hope last years change is still under warranty so they can once again change the air for free.

Mike (Who isn't kidding)

Mike Romain