Question About Lift Height

OK, guys - since I recently replaced my springs on my '93 YJ after my original springs (well, the left rear) on my 3" Dick Cepek lift started to go south for the winter (a leaf started creeping out of the pack due to a broken pin), I've become curious. I ended up replacing the springs with 4" Skyjacker springs. I expect to have to change my shocks at some time soon, but as is, it rides well. I just drove from Orange County to Monterey, CA. and back this weekend, and the suspension handles great (just like before). Other than my rear end kicking around a bit (side to side) during any sudden change in speed because of my Detroit in the rear, it handles fine. Perhaps someone can give me suggestions as to whether I need a different drop Pitman, or anything else to finish the

4" lift properly. I have Tomken (I believe) front tow shackles that add some height, and allow connecting a HiddenHitch tow bar. I run 32" ATs, and decided to measure the height of the body from the ground, just in front of, and behind the polyurethane flares. I measure 22" from the ground to the bottom edge of the body, just behind the front flare extension. I got 22.5" just in front of the rear flare. Can anyone out there with 32"s and a 4" lift tell me what they measure on their Jeep? I'm debating whether or not I have room to upgrade to 33" tires. I measure 5.5" from the top of my rear tire to the bottom of the rear flare edge, above the tire (6" extended flares), 3.5" from the tire to both the front and rear tips of the rear flare, and 4" from the top of the front tire to the bottom of the front flare edge (above the tire), and almost 5" from the tire to the rear tip of the front flare. What size tire can I fit without moving to a 6" lift and new axles? I obviously am concerned about articulation and rubbing, and can't afford upgrading to Dana 44s at the moment. If I could, I'd also get rear disc brakes and a 6" lift for new 35"s. But let's not go there this year. Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes Garden Grove, CA.

Reply to
Doug Gavilanes

L.W.(ßill)

First, you should replace the fronts with the Skyjacker springs so everything matches. Check your shock travel to be sure it matches Skyjacker's recommendations for th 4" kit.

Second, with a 4" lift you should have no problem at all running 33's, and if you fit either a 1" bosy lift or TJ flares you can run 35's/ Do both and you can run 37's.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Yeah but it wouldn't be wise to run 35" or especially 37" tires on that Dana

35c axle in the rear of his YJ.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Indeed, I wouldn't even run 33's on a D35.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Running 33's on a D35 is a good idea only if you need a good excuse for the wifey that you need to buy a new axle..."See how the wheel can just pull out from the axle, honey?"

A 35" tire will just make the excuse come sooner...I'm still waiting for mine to go...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Whoops! I guess that I wasn't clear about replacing all four springs. I did.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doug

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Douglas Gavilanes

Thanks, Jerry. I just wanted to know if there was anything else that I should replace on the old Cepek lift to get the 33"s to fit and not be articulation-challenged. Actually, the shocks are fine, although they don't offer the extension that Skyjacker shocks would provide. And I wouldn't go near 35"s without a Dana 44 in back and front. The stuff in there right now is too wimpy to go beyond 33"s, even though I've got the HD rear axles and the Detroit back there. 35"s would look good, but would run like hell for a while (until something broke). I know better. Thanks.

Doug

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Douglas Gavilanes

Dude, I have a '93 YJ too I'm still saving up for a lift for. How are your drivetrain angles going with a 4" lift on it? I assume you have at least a transfer case drop kit installed, but if not, before doing anything else shouldn't you consider installing a fixed yoke conversion kit?

~ Billy.

Reply to
~ Billy.