Jeep YJ Lift and Transmission Question

Hey, I am looking at buying a Jeep YJ and I went and looked at a 95 YJ today. It has a body lift on it, and the owners claim that this body lift messes with the transmission linkage a bit. I took it for a drive, and there is a bit of a grind going from 2-3, but the owners assure me that this is due to the lift. The YJ has 168KMs on it, and a newer clutch. I phoned their mechanic, and he said to his knowledge, the lift kit is what is causing the transmission issue. So my question is this: is what the owners claim true? Or are their other issues I should be looking at?

Thanks

Reply to
Keane Gruending

The BL is not a likely source of grinding in the tranny. A BL CAN make shifting all the way into a gear difficult but if it's just grinding going in, that just sounds like a bad synchro.

Jerry

Keane Gruend> Hey,

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

It is 'very' possible for that to be the issue. Some have to have it trimmed or the inner boot removed. Especially if the installer screwed up by 1/4" or so on the body tub's side to side measurements.

It is easy to check. Measure the outside edge of each corner to the frame and see what you come up with. I have a tree in my driveway that I use to anchor a hand winch to and jack the body up by the roll bar to adjust it on the frame or add/remove body lifts. Last time I rolled my CJ7, it took me less than half hour solo to put the body back on square. It had shifted 1/2" or so and I was having shifting issues.

Mike

Keane Gruend>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I guess he could just remove the boot for a fast check?

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

While a body lift and/or a transfer case drop can cause problems when shifting into 2nd, 4th and reverse on YJs, that's probably not the issue with the 2-3 shift grinding. The latter issue is more likely either the wrong transmission lube (needs to be non-sulphur GL3, at most low sulphur GL-4), or at worst a worn synchroniser. The former issue, wrong transmission lube, is a common problem found with the AX15. It's a simple matyter of draining the lube and refilling with the correct stuff.

If the body lift is an issue you'll find that the shifter is binding going into 2nd, 4th & reverse, or that it won;t go all the way into those gears, pops out, etc. The problem is the inner shift boot being pinched between the shift lever and the driveshaft tunnel. There are several ways to remedy this, you can cut away the inner boot (not a great idea), or remove the boot and trim the floor pan back a bit, or carefully pound it back out of the way a bit with a BMFH.

Reply to
SoK66

define BMFH.... ive never heard that phrase but my best guess is "big mother f**kin hammer".... course i could be wrong :-)

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

LOL! Yup, you guess good.... One step up from a BFH.

Mike

Mike Romain

also known as the "Glasgow Screwdriver" :-)

Dave Milne

You have it nailed! ;-)

Reply to
SoK66

LMAO!!!!

(My Scottish ancestors are probably really pissed at me right now!)

Reply to
SoK66