Auto in CJ5

I am trying to find someone who has, themselves, installed an automatic transmission in a CJ 5, successfully.

I am interested in the project, but only hear about CJ 5 's with automatics, in passing, and no one gives info on how much of a PITA it was.

It currently has a 258, T-150, 300 t-case ( I think, I have not thought about the t-case for a while. ) At any rate, stock for 1977.

Thanks in advance.

My main areas of interest are:

Auto or 5 speed.

Driveshaft difficulties with auto conv.

bell housing sources

t-case replacement?

I am basically speaking, not good with much after the clutch. Never done anything rear of the clutch, and have no idea what works, as far as trannys, etc. I do know that a lot of people say T-5, and almost as many people say NO to the T-5.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Reply to
Fennidh

L.W.(ßill)

I can't help you, except to say you'll need a really big shoehorn.

You are aware that one of the reasons AMC developed the CJ-7 was to allow an optional automatic transmission, right? Wedging one into a -5 makes for a really, really short drive shaft.

Good luck!

Reply to
Lee Ayrton