Rotating front pinon on YJ

Hello Jeepers,

I'd like to correct the pinon angle on the Dana 30 in front of my '93 YJ. It has a 4" SUA lift and has some vibration while in 4 wheel drive. I don't want to use any degree shims and mess up the stering geometry.

I'm thinking about drilling out the welds that hold the axle tubes in place, rotating the pumpkin to desired angle and weld the holes back in place. Would this be the easiest way to go about this? If so, what do I use to drill out the welds. Is there something better than colbalt drill bits and lots of cutting oil?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, David

Reply to
zstasch

David,

A small shim would probably not hurt your castor enough to cause a steering issue. I'm curious where you're using 4wd that you can feel a driveline vibe?

I did a spring over on my 89 YJ, when I did the front I tipped the pinion up 2 degrees. Ended up with around 7" of lift when it was all said and done, no driveline vibes, no driveability problems.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Carl,

I'm moving too slow on the trail to notice any vibrations, but when I hit 4 hi on the snow covered streets, the vibrations make me cringe so bad that I don't even use the 4wd.

I have a different Dana 30 that I'm switching in for better gearing and I thought while I had it on the ground it would be a good time to make any adjustments needed to correct the driveline angle.

Thanks, David

Reply to
zstasch

Why not simply install a aftermarket CV in fron drive shaft where it connects to pinion? Given short drive shaft it is a viable long term solution. Though some do it is is not advisable to rotate axle forward and remove positive caster to improve drive angle a bit.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

This is asking the obvious, but just in case: Have you checked the front driveshaft if it is balanced? The front driveshaft on the YJ isn't real short and I can't think that a 4" lift is going to be enough to create vibes. I would check out the driveshaft being balanced as well as the condition of the ujoints.

Reply to
Raptor

I agree the balance should be checked first along with the general condition of the u-joints. A lot of jeeps have 4 inch lifts without these vibrations coming up so there is a strong chance something else is going on.

Reply to
nrs

I am going to add a third to that!

I would be inspecting the driveshaft, it's u-joints or even the axle u-joints behind the wheels.

Front vibes 'caused' by a 4" lift, isn't something anyone has complained about on this group.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Thank you for all your responses! I assumed the problem was the pinon angle because the vibes started at the same time I put the taller springs on but perhaps that just exaggerated some vibes I couldn't feel before. I'll check the u-joints and driveline balance to see if I can find the problem. Thanks again, your advice has been most helpful!

Take care, David

quoted text -

Reply to
zstasch