Tire Pressure experience

Just to clue people in on pressures, I have always run close to stock tires. I just mounted a set of superswamper TSL bias ply 33x13.5 on 10 inch wheels. I wasn't sure what pressures to run in them and basically drove them home from being mounted/balanced with the pressures they put in them. The damn thing was ALL over the road and I thought it was just being wide tires and bias plys. They had just over 40 lbs in them. I took the advice of Bill and others and aired down to 30 psi. I'm telling you it's like a different vehicle. It drives just like my 2001 Ford Ranger on the highway! And I had this horrible vibration and now it's also down to a minimum (nuthin' like hiding problems). One draw back is that the tires are now a bit louder...big deal. Just thought I'd share that. Thanks all! Allen

83 CJ7
Reply to
<ABanks5

For that size tire on a CJ7 you should try 26 psi in the city and 30 tops fully loaded for the highway.

Quick test, floor it and jump the clutch and see how wide a strip you leave.

Well... Better you just take some chalk and rub a couple strips across the tires, then drive straight for a bit and see how much chalk is left.

I was trying out my newly rebuilt CJ7 and the new BFG 33x9.5 Mud tires and new engine and clutch without even the front clip on it yet, so spun them up a few times.

I had a 4" contact patch!

I dropped to 26 and had a 7" patch on a 7.5" tread width.

That was a bit low though for my tall skinny tires and the lean in corners, the outside edges started to bite so I went up to 28 psi and it is wearing excellently 3 years later.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you didn't hear your axle snap, then look under and see if your drive shaft is still there!

Just pickin' on ya Mike :-)

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ive only had tee martonys osifer...Or "I must the the" drinker I get...

Just pickin on you Bill :-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL, my CJ7 will just light up the tires from a start....

Have a Dana 44 in the rear.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's the mold release compound that allows the tire to pop out of the mold without sticking.

It can take quite a few miles to wear it off. Driving on gravel helps. It's slicker than snot on wet asphalt. I skidded right through a damp intersection on brand new A/Ts once. Scary - the tire dealers should warn buyers about this.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Approximately 11/26/03 21:15, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Plus isn't a good idea to test this anyway as heavy braking can move the tire on the rim enough to affect balance until that mounting lube is flushed off. Too bad on a Jeep or SUV you can't buff up the tires traction in a few 4 wheel turn drifts.

Reply to
Lon Stowell