Tire Pressure

On my '99, I have swapped my stock 14x6 rims out for a set of '01 SE

16x6.5 rims. I'm now running 205x45 R16 Yokohamas and wondering if I need to up the pressure for the lower profile. Anyone out there have a car that came from the factory with 16"? If so, what does it recommend on the door jamb? Thanks!

Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

26 psi all round

Boz

Reply to
Robert Boswell

Is that true for all tires? I believe the pressures for my 205/40/17's are

32 psi front, 29 psi rear.
Reply to
Carbon

Not at all, just the factory recommended pressure. I usually go no higher than about 30 and no lower than 26.

I run my 215/40/16's at around 28 psi, usually for the fronts and rears, about the same that I used for the 195/50/15's on my last Miata.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It's not just a matter of "all tires." Your suspension is different from the '99, and your lower profile carries more risk of wheel damage. Follow whatever the door jamb sticker advises as a minimum pressure; if you drive hard, you may get crisper response by adding another 2 or 3 psi. If you just cruise, overinflation wears out the tread centers and yields an unnecessarily harsh ride.

As for the OP's 205x45 R16, I would run 29 or 30 psi all around.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Where does it say that? I'm skeptical.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Those are the factory-recommended pressures for a Mazdaspeed Miata.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

OK. What about the Mazdaspeed would call for higher pressure in the front?

Reply to
Frank Berger

Page 10-6 of the 2004 Miata owners manual says: 205/40 R17 80W Front 29 psi, Rear 32 psi. The manual also lists 26 psi all round for 195/50/15 and

205/45/16 tire sizes.

I see it had the tire pressures backwards. Ah well. I was close.

Reply to
Carbon

Just a guess, but perhaps Mazda wanted to ensure understeer on a car that can break traction easily in the rear.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hey guys, I did 'search the world over' as they say to try to find the best the best compromise of my particular ratio of looks / weight / price. I ended up with OZ Racing "Ultraleggra" 16"ers. IIRC they cost $189 a piece and weigh 14.5 lbs. Most normal priced 16's run 19 to 21 lbs and as Pat has mentioned when you get down to the ultra-lights (11 to 13lbs) the prices skyrocket to $300 to $350 per wheel. The OZ's are here:

(watch for line wrap!) They're not horrible to keep clean but anything seems easy after the miata BBS wheels!

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo