Weird oil pressure question

1997 ZJ 5.2.

At startup, no oil pressure, can hear lifters clicking.

Turn it off, turn it back on, oil pressure comes up, no lifter noise.

Oil pressure is a little under 40 per the gage.

Give it a little gas and at somewhere between 1000 and 1500 RPM the oil pressure goes away, no lifter noise.

I'm going to repeat that--it HAS oil pressure at IDLE.

ABOVE IDLE it has no oil pressure.

Oil level is right at the top mark on the dipstick. I tried changing the oil and filter and that didn't help.

Haven't put a mechanical gage on it yet--the lifter noise at startup and the consistent behavior suggest that it's a real problem and not just the gage and I don't have a mechanical gage.

Problem started right after I replaced the plenum pan and gasket.

My inclination is that something or other (a lump of gasket, a leaf, a squirrel, or whatever) managed to get into the oil pan while I had the manifold off and is now partially obstructing the oil intake.

My inclination is to drop the pan and see if the strainer is obstructed, however if anybody has some less messy alternatives to try that don't involve working underneath it in the pouring rain or riding a motorcycle down to the parts store in the pouring rain I'd be ecstatic to give it a try.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, got the pan loose and of course it immediately started to rain hard.

Now looks like the Y-pipe has to come off. I'd been dreading that. AAARRGHHHH.

I'm thinking it's time to bolt it back up and take it to a mechanic.

Hate to do it but with rain forcast for the next week . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Look at it on the bright side. At least you didn't get to the "ride the motorcycle to the parts store in the rain" stage.

I mentioned a connection between Harley riders and Jeepers on a Harley forum. Over 40 people on the Harley forum also had Jeeps. Then again, maybe it's just motorcycles and Jeeps and not necessarily just Harleys.

Reply to
Old Crow

Hmmmm . . . .

What if my "other ride" is a resto-rodded 1952 Cushman step-thru? Does that count?

Swapped in a 7 Hp Briggs (balanced, ported, relieved, shaved head), body ( this is the classic "turtle back" scooter) modded with an enlarged trunk made to look like a 50's pickup box ... just a lot smaller.

It's geared to run at 55-60 instead of the stock 40-45.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I got no problem with restored "hot rods". I've had a lot more bikes in my life that weren't Harleys than bikes that were. Had a guy give me an old Cushman frame one time that he'd dug out of a shed at a place he bought. It was too far gone to do anything but make a yard ornament out of it.

Reply to
Old Crow

I know what you mean.

4 Hondas (from 50 - 450 cc) 1 Suzuki dirt bike 1 Kawasaki dirt bike 1 AMF moped 1 Puch moped (hey, they were cheap transportation)

And now the Cushman which is a 60 series RoadKing model.

I've also swapped into it a Cushman 50 series PackageKar transmission which has a reverse gear and two forward speeds for use with the side car I'm building for the scooter ... getting too old to push the durn thing backward.

Just don't ask how many cars, trucks and Jeeps I've had ... not enough bandwidth.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Funny that. I was looking at this just the other day:

' old, but I don't want a trike. This might fill the bill.

Reply to
Old Crow

Ah, the memories. The part about Cushmans and sidecars that remains with me comes from the early 50's. I got a drivers license to drive one on-base to deliver newspapers at the tender age of 13. All was well until I made that first right-hand turn just a tad too fast with an empty sidecar...

Back then, it seems everyone on base had either a Cushman or an Izetta. There must have been half a dozen Cushman models just on Ramey AFB alone - everything from the low end single speed step-thru slug to the fancy belt- driven variable drive mosels. Learned a lot about wrenching keeping those things running.

Reply to
Will Honea

Very Cool Scooter! I have a 1957 Cushman Step Thru Scooter. In all original condition, but it needs a full restoration... I am actually thinking of building a full chromoly tubing frame for it and then stuff

250 cc. motorcycle engine into it and turn into a drag bike/scooter! :D Then stuff a 255-50-10 inch "Mini" race tire in the back and a pizza cutter size tire up front!

Reply to
socks09

Thanks, but I've got my sidecar almost done. Being disabled and the current administration thinks they should get raises while those that have retired or are disabled don't deserve any (but it's Friday and 2012 is coming), I built it out of scounged materials:

Spring = mountain bike rear shock

Frame = parts of an old bike trailer, a weight bench, and old 1"square tubing in the scrap pile.

Swing Arm = the old draglink off my XJ driled and tapped to take a cut down mini-bike axle. Wheel = Mini-bike wheel (won't be used over 50 mph so no worries)

Box = scrap lumber / plywood, old piano hinge and a lockable hasp.

Hardest part: getting the axle aligned.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Will,

Check out on Yahoo Groups "CushmanGroup".

Cushman Club of America is the national registry for Cushmans and the Sears Allstate clones.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

That would be the fibergalass topped body scooter, I believe, and they are pretty rare.

It'd be worth a lot more restored and the handling isn't good enough to handle much power.

Two sites that I recommend are Dennis Carpenter Reproductions and CushmanGroup on Yahoo.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I think I'm wrong with the model year then, As it has an all steel body.

Reply to
socks09

Can't win for losing.

Turns out the Y-pipe is going to have to come off. No way the pan is coming off forward unless I pull the axle--it's hanging as far as it can and there's not enough clearance. Hmm--maybe if I pull the shocks?

And of course the y-pipe is stuck in the cat to the point that I'm going to have to destroy either it or the cat to get it out.

Hmm--Summit Racing has an exhaust separator for 63 bucks and shipping, a Y-pipe is 67, a cat is more. Maybe I'll take a chance on the separator. Hate to have the Jeep out of service for another week before it comes--I really wish that the auto parts stores would carry stuff like that, but it would be a week for the Y-pipe anyway.

Oh, well, went ahead and ordered it. Also some aerospace-grade nickel antiseize intended for slip joints on aircraft exhausts so maybe if it needs to come apart again it won't be such an infernal hassle.

Meanwhile, an excuse to ride the bike. Just hope it doesn't rain too much.

Surprisingly the bolts on the flanges came out nicely with no hassle at all. One needed an impact wrench.

I found it interesting that two different types of fastener were used. On the left (seen from the front of the car, the driver's side in the US) the bolts seem to be pressed into the manifold (well, one was--a year or so back the other had had to be drilled out because it had busted). On the right side the bolts go in from the bottom and the nuts have tabs on them to keep them from turning as the bolts are tightened.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ok, no problem. Check here:

They have a complete set of pics of the scooter models except three wheeled or tracked models up to 1965

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Heh, didn't know Dennis Carpenter did scooters. I bought the last NOS side mount spare tire rack in the country for my old Ford pickup from him. Wonder if he has Harley parts?

Reply to
Old Crow

Nope, just older Ford car, truck, tractor and Cushmans.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran