What lockers to get?

Not that I'm going to get any lockers in the very near future, but I'm wondering what you guys are running for lockers and what you'd recommend. I have an AMC20 rear and Dana30 front. I'll be driving this Jeep on the street as a daily driver and hitting the trails at least 4-5 times a month to give you an idea of what I'll be doing with it. Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I have seen what you do with a two wheel drive open differential vehicle, and I suspect you don't really need lockers. I would suggest installing some kind of limited slip option instead.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:33:07 -0700, "Earle Horton" shared the following:

Aw, shucks! *kicks clump of mud with shoe* :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

...like the Tru-trac. I have them front and rear and never notice them until I need them. I would recommend them to anyone who is using their Jeep as a daily driver. I hope to put a set into my Grand Waggy one of these days, too. Caveat: There may be a tire size limit recommended by Trac-Tech. The Tru-Trac I got for my d35 indicated that you shouldn't go above 32" tires. That may have been a d35 issue, rather than a Tru-Trac issue, though.

TJim

Hey, Travis, that wasn't mud... it probably wasn't ice cream either... ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Travis, I went through the same process last year - What lockers to get.......

I have a 85 CJ7 with a 258, Howell Injection, T18, 4:10s AMC20 rear & Dana30 front. My Jeep is primarily off road use. It's a third vehicle so I use it around town when I'm in the mood but it's primary purpose is off road.

I believe, for a combo on/off road vehicle, the best locker to go with is ARBs. The work great off road and can be turned off when not in use. Down side.....a little pricey and can be temperamental off road - (ie minor air leaks and they don't work). When they break you are left with open carriers.

I decided to go with DetroitLockers in the rear. I have a Trak lock in the front that so far is working fine....I would have gone ARBs all the way around but I simply did not put enough on road miles to justify the additional expense. With the Detroit, I was worried about the aggressive locker on asphalt. We all have Detroit locker stories of clanging & banging noises and even more important is the tendency to jump lanes when accelerating or letting off the gas. I will say that with Detroits new locker, the typical issues above have all but disappeared. There is an occasion clang when making tight turns (pulling into a parking spot at a store) but nothing some minor changes in driving habits could not cure. The other thing that is typically a down fall for lockers is they do not work too well in mud or snow. perm posi will have a tendency to pull your rig side to side in the snow. I don't do much snow driving so it was not an issue with me......The upside to having Detroits is they are indestructible. The always work.

Oh - BTW - I assume you know the first thing you MUST do before installing a locker ESPECIALLY in the AMC20 is buy yourself good one piece axles. The

20s axles are one of their weakest points.

Hope this helps......

Reply to
John B. Parisi

I just ordered my one peice axles, I also hear that the tubes on the amc

20 are weak, have you had any problems with twisting the axle, I was looking at a nice axle truss here
do youthink it's worth it?Greg

indestructible.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I don't know, wouldn't mind one but bet it would be as much to ship it as buy it.

Reply to
Greg

How about welding the tubes to the housing and adding a gusset?

Reply to
TJim

I have not had any issues with the 20 tubes. As others have suggested....if anything happens to mine or the next time I have the rear end out --- I'll weld 'em.

Reply to
John B. Parisi

I haven't either and I run 35" tires and a EZ locker and one piece axles. I am preparing to buy a welder though, so next chance I get I might add a bead around the tubes and maybe even add a gusset.

An ounce of prevention.......

suggested....if

Reply to
Kevin Sperle