time to look into Lockers

I want a "partial locker" one I can turn on and off. This is not my daly driver but I tend to drive it a lot on the pavement, and in the snow, so I would not lock it before I got a full time locker.

I see my options: ARB OX new to me, Detroit electric

heard bad things about OX diff covers, and worried about parts and service after there recent Bankruptcy

ARB seems to be the best, but the most costly, especially after you put an air tank and compressor (but I need OBA any way)

My question: what's your take on the Detroit Electric? Good, Bad, Ugly? Sounds the same as what come in the Rubi?

Money doses not grow on trees, but I will have this a while, and only want to do it once.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

For the time being, I would eliminate the Ox-Locker due to financial problems with the manufacturer.

First reports on the Detroit Electrac are very good. It has the nice advantage that when it's not locked up, it's the venerable bulletproof Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential. The only drawback at this time for the Electrac is that the solenoid assembly is pretty exposed to trail damage. They are apparently working on a new cover design to eliminate that shortcoming.

ARB is of course excellent and has a great reputation but it's more expensive than the Electrac when you sum up all of the extra charges you'd pay to get it running... like the compressor and the extra skilled labor needed to install the ARB properly.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Most magazines have their write ups scheduled out 4-5 months in advance and in some cases the printing plates are completed well in advance. They may have not had the time to pull the article, or it is possible that they had advertising based on the fact that the article was going to run. Sometimes they have commitments they have to keep. If none of the above, then they have their heads up their asses.

Chris

To summarize,

Part Time Lockers:

ARB - expensive, requires onboard air, but the company is established, parts are readily available, and the air lines and o-rings can be upgraded to solve problems that gave earlier units the moniker "AllReadyBroken;"

Ox - manufacturer's financial troubles make warranty support and future parts availability a gamble, if you can find a unit in anyone's inventory;

Detroit Electrac - Currently only available for Dana 44. Proven Eaton design, but needs re-design of external solenoid and electrical connections for adequate protection for rockcrawling, also gas tank clearance, which would make it potentially the best of the bunch;

TJ "Rubicon" Locker - switchable locker/limited slip, but you have to buy the whole jeep.

Fulltime Locker:

Detroit. Need I say more?

Bob Bills Orange County, CA

Reply to
Robert Bills

SNIP

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

So, since I have never had either in a vehicle, how much different would it be to have a spool vice a detroit in the rear?

Sean

99TJ 2KXJ

Reply to
Sean Prinz

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Especially watching someone try to drive a spooled vehicle on the street.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)