Detroit lockers

About twice a year I use my old series 3 109 to tow a trailer across some pretty boggy ground. Each time I do this I cause the most mess when one of the tyres starts to spin. Never have actually got stuck but I have to do some pretty heavy duty reinstatement each time. I'm under the impression that I could fit Detroit lockers to my diff's (salisbury on the back) that would automatically kick in as required and switch off when I am on the road.

Do they work this way and where can I get some and are they expensive?

TIA

Reply to
mark

So long as you only have one in the rear diff, yes, they work pretty much just as you say - it locks the spinning wheel (on or off road - which is why you don't have one in the front diff too, as cornering gets a tad tricky!) If you want a locking diff on the front, you have to go for an air locker - which is only engaged when you flick the switch.

Check the Land Rover comics. I ended up importing two Detroits (I have two 101s) from GBRovers in the States - about 300 quid or so each IIRC. Fitting is fairly easy, but an axle spreader is handy.

Reply to
Mother

I've seen the Detroit locker described more accurately an an 'automatic unlocking diff' due to the way it works. I believe the 'Trutrac' locking diff is supposed to do the same for the front axle whilst being able to handle corners!

Info available here:-

I'm tempted meself!

Stew

Reply to
90ninety

How about snow chains?

I'll get me overalls.

Reply to
PDannyD

I have a '96 Disco I with a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Detroit Tru-Trac in the front. The tru-trac is equivalent to a positive traction rear diff. The locker is just that... it lock both axles together to give equal power/torque to each wheel, whether that wheel is planted on the ground or way up in the air. Having a tru-trac in the front does not give the under steer a locker would. A locker in the front is only recommended for the hard-core rock crawler. I use my disco as a daily driver and rarely if ever experience rear axle clunking due to the locker on pavement.

What nice about the early disco's are the center diff lock on the transfer box. Now when off roading I am able to distribute power equally between the front and rear and now side to side. SWEET.

Goto the following link:

They have the skinny on diffs. I had my rear locker set up here. They built me a rear diff with locker. Sent me the third member and I returned my used one to them in there shipping container. A nice swap in swap out. Or you could do it yourself, whatever floats your boat.

Reply to
Jack

I've run Trutracs in the front diff of several part-time 4WD vehicles. They work just as it says on the box, and combined with free-wheeling hubs it does nothing when on the road. Fitted to the rear diff they are effective too, except that they can rattle when cornering (which has always annoyed me). I've found that fitting them to both axles is unnecessary except for the most arduous off-road use - I think a winch provides better value for money than a second Trutrac.

Reply to
EMB

I've read good things about Quaife Auto Torque Biasing diffs. Because of the way they work, you can fit them front or back and they only "cut in" when needed. Google Quaife. I don't know anyone who has them, but I have been tempted - only the cost has stopped me.

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

Or letting the tyres down? Very cheap! A locker in the rear is very tempting though, however probably worth trying the tyre route first as it requires no extra expense.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Snow chains will totally mess up the ground. A nice big floatation type tyre would be better.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I've got tru-tracs front and rear in my Discovery. Can't fault 'em.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Hi I run a Detriot True Trac in the front and a Detroit locker in the rear both 24 spline for extra strength. I have found them to be an awsome tool off road. This set-up with the Borg Warner transfer box takes all the thinking out of whether I need to engage any diff locks before I attempt an obstical. They have not given my any problems when driving on the road other than a small amount of torque steer if I have unequal tyre pressures in the front. Getting used to using the True trac in the front when off road is a little strange as sometimes you need to dab the brakes to transfer weight/torque in the driveline to both front wheels.

Downsides I have found to Detroit lockers

If you are traversing a steep gradient and the locker at the rear is driving both wheels locked it can sometimes try to push the vehicle more at the rear causing the rear of the vehicle to slip down the slope. Where as if you had the ARB you could disengage the rear to stop this happening.

Downsides to having any type of locker and 36" tyres are that they are quite aggressive on the driveline and can easiy break shafts and CV's. Even though I run an auto box which delivers the power smoother, you still have to be careful not to apply power when on full lock or really aggressivly back and forth.

If you are interested in having either a Detroit True-Trac, Detroit locker or an ARB Locker supplied and fitted to your vehicle or even if you just want your diffs reconditioning get in touch with....

Steve at Crown Differentials one of the UK's cheapest supplier/ service of Diffs Arnside Lodge Main Street Granby Nottinghamshire NG13 9PQ

01949 859044

Quote REF: BT79

Hope this helps

Brian Tonks Tonks4x4

27-29 Main Street Huthwaite Sutton-In-Ashfield Nottinghamshire NG17 2LD 01623 452885

Brian Tonks

On or around Tue, 7 Feb 2006 23:39:18 -0000, "90ninety" enlightened us thusly:

If you want to throw money at the problem, then you can look into Quaife, who do dead nice cunning LSDs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:43:28 -0000, "Joskin" enlightened us thusly:

. reckoned to be dead good, if you can afford 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

please excuse a technical query - is there any benefit of an auto difflock over the manual (electric/hydraulic) type - or vice versa?

Reply to
William Tasso

In message , PDannyD writes

I already have Greenway Anacondas on the wheels :) I suspect the chains would disappear between the lugs :)

Reply to
mark

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Right, I'll let you know how much they are..................

Reply to
mark

IMO, yes, in many circumstances, but in general, for serious mud-plugging, I'd opt for for a Detroit in the back and an ARB air locker in the front. And air locker really does just what it says on the tin, and for tricky, slow ascents where you need as much purchase as is possible, lock everything!

Reply to
Mother

Joskin Hi,

you now know one who has fitted them and tested them for more than 8 years.

I have one fitted on the rear axle of a 1993 Discovery 200Tdi (tweaked engine, converted to autobox and BW transfer box) and it works like a dream.

Have also fitted two QUAIFEs (one on each axle) along with their HD halfshafts and hubs to a friends trialer and it amazed everybody with the way it performed on the kind of territory and ground that supposedly is only for 100% selectable lockers. The vehicle was able to go EVERYWHERE everybody else was going with 100% lockers and was extremely more agile since you could actually turn your wheel and turn (and not break your halfshafts)

In finished ninth with a novice driver and without a winch on a semi trialing - semi winching event.

IF you are locking for the best automaticaly engaging locker look no further than the QUAIFE. It is expensive but well worth the money. Something like comparing a Superwinch Husky with those new Taiwanese winches.

Another proposal comes from KAM differentials

) They have just re-introduced their Limited Slip Differential (LSD) with clutch plates. The principle of operation is logical, performs nicely but clutch plates tend to get worn and used up and they may need replacement after some time (something like every 50.000 miles or more) if you a really heavy footed. But it is relatively cheap and it will get you out of trouble when required. KAM has also JUST introduced their ALL IN ONE differential locking system with an LSD for full time automatic operation AND a manually selectable 100% locking diff and heavy duty halfshafts in the same kit. The price is 810 pounds for the rear kit (if I remember right) plus VAT but you really get EVERYTHING and BOTH types of locking diff practice. Something like a belt and suspenders on your trousers. You simply can not get wrong with it.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. I do have a connection with both KAM and QUAIFE as I represent and distribute their products in Greece but I only do so after having tested their products and being sure that they are really worth their money.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

...and Pantelis Giamarellos spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Hi Pantelis

Your English is always excellent, but you should be aware that the word suspenders only means "things to hold your trousers up" in the USA. Here in the UK, it means something different:

Just to be *absolutely* clear.

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hi Pantelis,

Thanks for the info on Quaife ATB diffs. I heard similar good things about them from a chap in Australia who had fitted them and basically forgotten about them. But his Landy got him through sections of track that other vehicles couldn't manage.

Regards, Joskin

Reply to
Joskin