Hands Free kits

Hi all,

The company has kindly (?) offered to get me a hands free kit for the Rangie. I use an Ericsson T68. They've supplied the bits and a voucher to have it all fitted. The bits are:

- a phone cradle which screws to the dash (ouch)

- a big lump of electronics which has to go somewhere

- a mic which needs to hang off the roof

- a speaker which looks like Fisher Price made it

Question 1: does the standard 1996 P38 radio cater for a phone input, or do I have to use the crappy speaker?

As you can probably tell, I'm not that impressed by having to bolt things on to my nice clean dashboard, and have wiring run all over the place.

I could just ignore the kit and use my Bluetooth headset instead. Or, can anybody recommend a better car kit, that I could buy myself and get the company to pay to have fitted - preferably Bluetooth, so I don't have to have it all ripped and replaced when I change the phone?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David French

Our Merc has a car kit which doesn't have any drilling. A very thin bracket sits in the stereo DIN socket between the stereo and the bracket and the wiring runs out from under the centre console into the bottom of the phone mount. The speaker is hidden in the footwell. Totally reversible as far as I can see.

I think the problem with using the radio is that unless the radio is on when the call comes in the amplifier won't work and you won't hear anything. The radio would have to have a permanent live amplifier and some remote volume control thing. Maybe it does?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

me too

I use a 'no drill' plate which _is_ screwed into the dash - but ... from the inside of an air vent

step 1: remove air vent step 2: insert thin metal plate into the air vent 'tunnel' step 3: use stubby screw driver to affix plate into non-stereo (!) side of 'tunnel' step 4: replace air vent

easy peasy

and the electronics fit behind the fuse box cover under the steering column ;-)

-- Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:

Mac

here you go they also do audio mute leads etc

and for Land Rover owners

Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

David> - a phone cradle which screws to the dash (ouch) David> - a big lump of electronics which has to go somewhere David> - a mic which needs to hang off the roof David> - a speaker which looks like Fisher Price made it

You can get a "no drill" mounting place for the phone cradle which fits in the side panels of the centre console. In my (Nokia) installation, I have this. You can mount the phone just under the glove compartment or between the gear lever and passenger seat. The electronics fits nicely onto the closing panel below the glovebox.

There is a mute connection for the radio which will cut it's output. I have the speaker mounted on the back of the centre console pointing upwards, which is much more effective that it sounds. I had this done on a previous car at the suggestion of the installation engineer, and the guy who did the rangie was surprised at how well it worked.

For the electronics, you can wire things with a relay or two to:

1) Mute the radio, if on.

2) Power the door amplifier, if the radio isn't on and it isn't powered all the time (you only need the drivers door speaker(s) for the phone).

3) Switch the audio feed to the right front from "radio" to "phone".

Much of this is what I'm planning to work out how to do for my sat nav installation. Or I could just buy/beg/steal/borrow a speaker and install that separately.

--

- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"