Strangest Vehicle ownership mix?

Hi Guys and Gals I was reading on another thread about how you like driving your Lr/RR because of the driving position etc, and how it feels to change to the other cars in your life.

This got me thinking of the strangest car mix in your life. What is the most exrteme difference you have to cope with.

Here is my situation as a starter for 10

I jump out of my 1969 series IIa V8 hybrid into a Honda S2000. I go from

2 ton of metal with a seat so high i get a nose bleed, to a 240BHP soft top. Thing is if i have to go out i never know which to take.

Anyone beat that?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Harrison

Range Rover - 2500Kg (guessed), 130bhp (looked it up)

52bhp per 1000Kg Goes through snow like a hot knife, climbs like a mountain goat.

Yamaha FZS600 - 200Kg fully fuelled, 95bhp (nominal)

475bhp per 1000Kg Light blue touch-paper.

CAAD7 - 75Kg (with rider), 0.75bhp (peak)

10bhp per 1000Kg puff-pant-puff-pant What was that? Oh, a corner.
Reply to
PDannyD

try a 1980 lwt /e reg 90 to a 1979 mini/r reg festa! bring on the go sarts! son of merlin.

Reply to
Merlin©

Apart from a choice of four Land Rovers, there is only Bruce's motorbikes which are a GS1100 and a Bultaco 250 Sherpa T.

Reply to
Nikki

'03 Disco 4.6 '01 330i Sport '02 Superformance S1 (a carbon fiber sevenesque car, Zetec-powered) Supercross Dirt Devil skatepark/ramp bike DMR Mountain Trials Sidekick

The Disco is 4755lbs, the Superformance is 1370lbs. Horsepower numbers are not that dissimilar.

Reply to
Jack Baruth

I once got out of my 1968 SIIa SWB 2.25 petrol and into a 1963 Bentley S2 with 6.3 V8

Alex

Reply to
Alex

mmmm a few choices of vehicles here:

1) The wife's little Micra 1.0 L, flat as a fa*t,, makes the disco look sporty, could always park it in the back of sed disco if the garage gets full of toys this Christmas.

2) Works van - Vauxhall Combo 1.4 LPG , 2000 miles a month, jump back in the disco for a well earned rest, even that tractor like 200tdi is a joy to listen too and a joy to drive.

3) Works 4x4 - Vauxhall Brava (Izuzu something or other) - Yuk what a heap of ****, everyone says the Disco rolls when cornering, take a ride in the the Brava it's like being on a North Sea ferry in a force 9 gale.

4) Works John Deere 6200, 90 BHP, but I would imagine the Torque figure would shame any landrover, i'm afraid it's got a little more ground clearence than the disco, and a bit more grip come to think of it, even had to use it to pull the Disco out of a hole once when i'd been playing and got the poor old girl's belly grounded. But it's American and far too expensive as an off road toy, God knows what it would do to the Gallon, and I don't suppose it would be very good on the motorway.

Cheers

Ian

1993 Disco 200Tdi
Reply to
Dotcom

My vehicle before my series 3 was a stretched granada limo. that was in every way more comfortable, warmer, faster, more powerful and dare I say it easier to park. Only trouble was it wore out.

Reply to
Larry

The widest span in the vehicles I own has to be from a 1956 86" Series 1 with about 55BHP and a top speed of around 50mph (with a tail wind) to my

1986 Porsche 911(930) Turbo Cabriolet with almost 400BHP and a top speed of around 170MPH. You've got to be damn careful you don't treat the 911 throttle like the one in the series 1! My daily driver is a fairly heavily modified 200 Tdi Defender tuned to 145BHP, much more sensible in this snowy weather (as well as on every other day of the year to be honest).

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall
300tdi 90

325i coupe (company car, great engine, the most uncomfertable seat of any car, ever)

28 foot long, 10 inches wide, 14 kg racing scull. Human powered, terrible round corners, very wet when it rains. Glorious when winning...

r's mike

Reply to
Mike T

1969 Series 2A (standard 2.25 petrol) Drinks like a fish, full of holes, heavy & slow, rusty and breaks any opertunity. 1997 T*y*ta C*r*lla (1.3 EFI) Obscenely economical, totally watertight, lightweight & nippy, shiney, reliable but totally crap off-road :-P

A bit like the difference between a go-cart into a sherman tank.

Reply to
SuperBug

3.5V8 hybrid, 16 (ish) too the gallon, but quite often less because I have discovered the joys of putting the Kev's in the Nova SR's to shame at traffic lights etc. They simply dont believe a Land Rover can be that quick....

Then into a pug 106 diesel that seems to run on fresh air. Thrashing it I get 55 to the gallon, and on a long run, it returns over 65..... Trouble is, it is a bit slow and gutless, and the slow pickup compared to the hybrid takes some getting used to.....

Then into a a little Suzi SJ410, which rattles smokes and clatters a bit due to the ex failing to check the oil regularly, but dare I say it, is great fun off road once it is revved up, it simply floats over the glop that traps Landrovers..... It dies at the start of 2004 when the MOT is up, as the body work is more rotten that a Range Rusters. Gonna rebuild it with a Blitz kit for a larf!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

First car is a 1994 evented Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi weighting 2800 kilos with the standard engine developing 111 bhp.

Second car is a 1995 model year AUDI RS2 tuned to 360 bhp (factory is 315), weighting 1600 kilos, top speed 282 Km/h, 0-100 km/h at 4.9

Third car (currently out of order) is a 1993 evented Camel Trophy Discovery

200Tdi lightened to around 2200 kilos (roofrack and bull bar removed) and tuned to around 150 bhp.

Fourth vehicle is a 1976 amphibious ARGO 8X8 with a 18 bhp two cylinder two stroke engine. Good for 40 Km/h on or off the road and 4 nautical miles per hour in the water.

Driving from my house to Athens on a specific very steep incline on the highway the 1994 camel gets out of puff at 110 km/h on fourth gear while the RS2 accelerates in sixth gear to whichever speed I dare to press it (up to now I have only pushed it to 265, but don't say that to the Greek highway patrol)

Take care and merry Xmas everybody Pantelis

P.S. did I mention that the top of the RS2's windscreen ends where the windscreen base of the Camels begin?

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

At one time:

1975 Vanden Plas 1500 1998 TD5 Disco 1992 Rover 820I 1989 Jaguar XJ-S 1992 Ford Maverick

Believe me, some of the transitions between these cars hurt. Such as forgetting which car you were in when jumping out of the Maverick (96MPH flat out, 0-60 eventually) into the XJ-S (Top speed somewhere over 150,

0-60 before you realise it). The most fun was forgetting which car I was in when I'd been driving the Vanden Plas for a few days with its oh so heavy brakes and jumping into the Disco and leaving a great big 3" wide bruise from right shoulder to left hip as I managed to bring it to a halt from 60 by basically abusing the ABS quite badly.

The Maverick was always fun in 2WD because it was quite easy to bring it from 5th to 2nd rather than 4th which ended up with the back wheels locking up and the entire car fishtailing quite badly. Damn thing had worse body roll than my 1982 RRC has.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I regularly get out of my Defender and into my 6.7 V8 Rolls-Royce, and out of there into the wife's Volvo V40, out of there into my 5.0 Crown Victoria and out of there into my 3.9 Disco :-)

Reply to
AN6530

Musical cars.

Reply to
Nikki

There's some one-upmanship creeping into this, methinks...

I just have the 110 and a Passat I paid 500 quid for ;-)

Reply to
David Sillitoe

I've recently re-possessed my 1989 Range Rover from SWMBO after three years of having to drive the Ser 2a 2.25 petrol everywhere. Both the Land Rover products are now showing their age - the 1968 one is badly in need of a new chassis as there is more welding every MoT to be done and now there are holes appearing all over. Ditto Range Rover - wheel arches and sills there I am afraid (sad as both are mechanically pretty good - esp the Ser 2a which just runs and runs)

SWMBO now drive a 1982 Porsche 924 which I get to spanner with - it's not a bad car really, basic by today's standards but, given it's age, mileage and the fact it only runs on the four cylinder N/A Audi type engine - it's pretty useful. Only problem is getting in and out of it after driving a land rover - ooow me back....

Land Rover products were bought to tow what are really the best offroader you'll ever find:

but I'm saving the pennies for a 7.5 tonne lorry to replace Range Ruster.

Graeme

p.s. Insurance? Try Norwich Union - we got a ridiculously low quote for the Porsche from them online, rang them up to confirm it as it was half the cost of the next cheapest - they confirmed it over the phone so we bought it.

Reply to
Graeme

Last year with Norwich Union, the Discovery was £157.00 - don't know what the next one is but its due anytime.

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:53:14 +0000 (UTC), David Sillitoe enlightened us thusly:

well, I have a 110, a disco (not actually mine, but I drive it regularly) and the 4x4 Sierra. The latter is about half the height of the 110 and about twice as quick off the mark. Doesn't handle much better at the moment as the rear dampers are buggered, and the front ones not that good.

Reply to
Austin Shackles