Michelin - "Synchrone" vs Goodyear - " Wrangler" - HP ????

At least this season has been slightly more interesting with not having Schumacher winning everything!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Dunno, but Damon Hill certainly had an XS 300 Tdi Discovery in 1996/1997 when he was still living in the posh Killiney district of Dublin!

And I gather Enya has recently purchased one of the latest Range Rovers........

Reply to
Llandrovers!

wonder if they've started to 'weight' him down a bit - like jockeys, just to give everyone else a chance!

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

I also remember Senna losing the back end at Stowe Corner, Silverstone and managing to get reverse and keep himself facing vaguely the right way before the car got past 90 degrees.

There was also Mansell's superb move on Prost coming out the tunnel at Monaco, where both cars ended up stationary in the turn.

Is it my imagination or are there far fewer rain-affected races than there used to be? That used to sort them out - I remember Mansell coming second in his non-turbo Williams Judd to Senna's turbo charged McLaren in the pissing rain whilst the rest of the field came absolutely nowhere.

The other telling factor is how drivers get on with knackered cars. I remember Schumacher winning or coming second with a car that had been stuck in fifth gear for virtually all of the race.

Switching to my favourite subject (the ludicrously overrated Damon Hill), does anyone remember Damon Hill ever overtaking anyone?

Whilst we are here....

"What's the difference between Tiger Woods and Damon Hill?"

"Tiger Woods can drive 300 yards"

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

global warming?!

just another one of the greats.......Frank Bruno, Eddy the twatting eagle.....

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

It takes 2 to do that though Tim. Without Montoya there'd be no wheel interlocking.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

Well Damon won the driver's championship one year so he must have been doing something right!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:59:04 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

nah, the computers ain't that clever - they still manage to crash quite comprehensively. And the remote telemetry is going (or gone, now, I think), ditto the launch control. I think they ditched traction control last year.

Part of this is about the "lesser" teams not being able to afford all the gizmos, and it turning into an "us and them" scenario between the big 3 or 4 and the rest.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:00:29 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

Schumacher M is of course seriously good in the rain. notable for being crap in the rain was Mika Hakkinen, who's gone from the grid now anyway.

but there are still some wet races.

second, in a Benneton. very nice demonstration of the art of driving, that was. Mind, I think these days the cars either work or stop, and also since they're so expensive, if it develops a fault that's gonna put you out of the points, there's no point in continuing and risking more damage.

hehe.

he was a bit of a damp squib.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:43:38 +0100, Llandrovers! enlightened us thusly:

luck and a good car. Mind, others have become champion on the same basis. Wasn't impressed with him walking out mid-season just 'cos he wasn;t winning though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:34:54 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

nah, Williams and Maclaren have caught up on pace a bit, and have a couple of pretty reasonable drivers now. Ferrari have had one or two reliability things, but not many.

The Williams/Maclaren thing is about BMW and Mercedes, mind... BMW have done a good job developing their engine, by the looks of things, it's not taken them long to be competitive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Neil Hodgeson has just won the Superbikes....don't make him the best tho' if you look at the competition compared with past entrants. Best rider of the year on a FACTORY Ducati maybe, factory Duke's first and second...surprise, surprise!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley