Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2 on Ranger 4x2?

Hello..

Just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2s on my 1999 Ranger 4x2... I got nearly 100K out of those factory Firestones. w00t! I went for the same size of 225/75/15. I chose the Wrangler AT/D2s because they looked aggressive, and the tread suggests they'll do well in the snow come winter.

Anyone have any of these? I sort of wonder if maybe the truck isn't heavy enough for them, or something. They're a little on the 'squirrely' side. If i were to 'weave' back and forth a little bit (not unlike the NASCAR guys heating up their tires) it feels like the tail end of my truck is just swaying all over the place- on dry, level pavement it's the same 'floating' feeling as driving on a washboarded road, but without the vibration... I haven't checked the air pressure yet (I'll have to wait until it's light out again), but they *look* about right.

Goodyear.com doesn't even list Wrangler AT/D2s on their website. I had seen "Goodyear Wrangler" before on small trucks and Jeeps, but didn't realize (until now) that they have a bajillion tires and they're all named "Wrangler".

Thanks for any suggestions or stories.

Reply to
phaeton

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:21:31 -0700, phaeton rearranged some electrons to form:

I don't like Goodyear Wranglers. My truck came with a set of them.

They don't last very long (40k miles) They wear unevenly & cup, and cause the truck to ride badly

I bought a set of Michelin LTX's for it, yeah their more expensive but they ride and wear very well. I've got nearly 50k miles on them and the tread still look nearly like new.

You can't go by how the tires "look" to know if you have them inflated properly.

Reply to
David M

Right... so this morning I checked them with my tire gauge. They've got 34PSI in them, sidewall says 44PSI Max....

Should I put another 10 pounds in?

Other than the squirrelyness, I think they ride well- smooth, quiet, etc.

Reply to
phaeton

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:43:38 -0700, phaeton rearranged some electrons to form:

You should put in the amount of air that is recommended by the manufacturer. See the door pillar tag.

Oh, and check back with us after about 30,000 miles and see if they still ride quiet and smooth.

Reply to
David M

Run what the vehicle manufacturer says.

Tire pressure can be adjusted up to support additional weight that you may carry, but don't run them at the max pressure when unloaded, they'll wear prematurely and ride terribly rough.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Went out at lunch and took a peek at the door tag, and it states 35psi.

I never was sure which one to pay attention to- vehicle recommendations or tire manufacturer...

thx everyone.

Reply to
phaeton

The set of AT/Ds on my F150SC have 32K on them and it appears still have about half the tread left on them. They are wearing evenly too. However, they are the worst tires I have ever had in the rain.

How are the LTXs' in the rain. I am thinking that it's time to go ahead replace the Wranglers, but I want a tire that is really good on wet slippery roads.

Reply to
Bill Toth

I never heard anyone who was overly happy with the Goodyear rubber. When my ranger Firestones gave up (almost 100 k km), I went for the Bridgestone Duellers. Same size. I was looking at the Michelins, but they don't make a tire my size and they wouldn't sell the nearest size to me. Some safety thing?

At the tim e of the divorce, Ford offered me the Goodyear tires but I declined. I think I got as much more mileage out of the Firestones as I would have from the Goodyears.

And I am fascinated by the debate over who knows best about tire inflation. Why would you go with the vehicle manufacturer, rather than the tire manufacturer? I would think you should go with the tire guys, as they should better know the capabilities of the tire. The vehicle guys might be going for a soft ride and a docile customer? I don't understand the other point of view. Yet.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

=_NextPart_000_0032_01C5CACD.77868C20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Snip: And I am fascinated by the debate over who knows best about tire=20 inflation. Why would you go with the vehicle manufacturer, rather than=20 the tire manufacturer? I would think you should go with the tire guys,=20 as they should better know the capabilities of the tire. The vehicle=20 guys might be going for a soft ride and a docile customer? I don't=20 understand the other point of view. Yet.

One thing that comes to mind is tire manufacturers know their tires = weight capacity and traction, but don't know what vehicle the tire is = going on.

I personally suggest the vehicle manufacturer as a starting point only, = the best way to determine proper inflation is trial and error using the = "chalk across the tread method", which has been literally beaten to = death in this group.

Once proper inflation is found, keep it constant, keep the tires rotated = and balanced, and maintain the alignment, and tires will last as long as = they can, dependent upon manufacturer compounds and customer usage.

Just my .02

Spdloader

washboarded

Reply to
Spdloader

They actually seem to be a little bit better this week than last week. It wouldn't make any sense for tires to have to "wear in" but maybe I'm just getting used to them.

Something I did notice when looking at the stacks of tires in the store- There was the AT/Ds and the AT/D2s. I don't know if it was an age thing or not but the AT/Ds seemed like a significantly harder compound than the AT/D2s when I squished around the tread. I would expect tires to take years to get 'hard' like that.

This may help out the whole rain issue Bill Toth mentioned, but treadwise i'm kind of surprised that there are no sipes or outlets on the edge tread to let water out. This may be a problem. I've been waiting for it to rain here so I can see how well they do. Satisfaction Guarantee and all.

Reply to
phaeton

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:10:45 +0000, Bill Toth rearranged some electrons to form:

They are the best tires I have ever owned. More expensive, though, so you'll have to make your own determination if it is worth it to you.

Reply to
David M