Goodyear tires

Have been checking on tires for my 99 Explorer XLS, leaning towards Michelin. My question is, Goodyear has some that are like $30.00 cheaper per tire, was there anything that you guys experienced who has used Goodyear tires. I thought a came across a post a couple months ago that dealt with this topic, but cannot locate it now.

Reply to
Lance

I have had mixed experience with Wrangler RTS's. I've had 2 sidewall failures in 6 years, not due to hitting anything obvious like a pot hole. Mileage was okay on previous sets, appr 40k...I have them now on my 2000 Mountaineer, so far so good, but it doesnt look like I'm going to get over 30k. AWD will do that even with regular rotations, but I probably wont be getting Goodyear again. I've heard ALOT of people complain about them also. I am probably going to Michelin or BF's next year. I'd pay the extra, especially with our higher rollover risk.

Reply to
NJMountaineer

We've got the new Goodyear Fortera's on our Explorer. We are pretty happy with them. Good in snow, rain. Good ride. Specifically an SUV/light truck tire.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Michelin LTX/MS. Makes a huge difference. I replaced 3 sets of those poor quality Wrangler RT/S's on my '96 Exploder before going to Mich's, and I just changed out the stock Goodyears on my 02 EB 4WD with LTX's. It's worth it!

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
wth

The Michelins seem to have a good following but when it comes to snow traction, the jury is mixed at best. 1010 tire and other tire sites seem to favor the Yoko Geo AT+IIs for the Explorer. I haven't bought them yet but I'm seeing more and more Explorers with these Yokos. I have yet to speek to someone who ownes these so to find out what they think about there true 4 season capabilities. As for the GoodYear RT/Ss, there seem to be two different tread patterns, one with open shoulder, the other with closed. I presently have the closed P255/70/16 and they are very slippery in the snow, slush or even wet roads. They wear well but ride very very hard for a P rated tire.

Reply to
Peter

I had the Goodyear Wranglers on my '93 and they were pretty good. traction was good ride was a little hard, and wear was good. Now I have a '94 that had uniroyal somethings on it when I bought it, not as good as the Goodyears, but a softer ride, I replaced them with Dunlop radial rovers that seem comparable to the Goodyears with even better wear, and were a little less money than Goodyears were.

Mike

Reply to
Mike L

I took off some really awful BFG Long Trail TAs from my Explorer and put on a set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs. My driving is minimal off road but we get quite a bit of snow here in the Great White North. My driveway is so steep that it could double for a bob sled run in the winter. I have had no problems at all with traction in the snow. Great tire. Quiet and handles well but you have to pay a little more. Also, I believe that they are made in the USA, if that is important to you.

Reply to
Stephen Read

Goodyear is a much better tire for Exploers because of the stiifer sidewall construction than the Michelin. They have 1 ply sidewalls for that smooth ride, but Goodyear has a 2 ply sidewall for strength. I recommend the Goodyear Wrangler RTS, GS-A, or AT-S.

Reply to
ECMS96

Don't know your source of info but I think it's wrong. Just looked at my Michelins and they have two sidewall plies. The tread has 4 plies, two poly (same as the sidewall) and two steel. IMHO the Michelin is a far superior tire to the Goodyear.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy