Myterious loss of 200tdi power - never even knew it had gone!!

Evenin' all,

I went with a mate today to look at a Discovery that he wanted to buy for his son. H reg, 200Tdi and 140000miles, and about as rough as you imagine. Not too bad though but as I looked around it I couldnt help but compare it to my 200tdi Range Rover. I was pleased that the underneath of my RR was alot cleaner and not nowhere near as much rust.

I took the Disco for a spin up the road, what a revelation! I wouldnt say it was any faster top end but it certainly was quicker through the gears. I always thought that the RR felt like it had loads of turbo lag till about 1700 rpm but once up and running is fine.

So, my question is this. What is likely to be the cause of the RRs sluggish behaviour? The engine appears to be in good health. 140K miles and uses no oil. I know its previous owner used to look after it. My initial thoughts are injectors, or possibly pump? I have a

200tdi in a wrecked disco if i need to swap anything.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Have you explored the collapsed turbo hose problem?

Reply to
Lee_D

Er no. I did have a browse over the hoses and they did seem ok. Its always been the same power, hence me not realising it wasnt underpowered. Care to elaborate?

Reply to
Dave R

I'm not a tdi expert but is it worth putting a boost guage on it and checking that the turbo is doing what it should? Perhaps your actuator is set too low?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I have a little bedtime reading for you

ask yourself do you feel lucky? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

From previous reading in these here parts the hose can collapse inwards and suffocate the engine. I understand is as a delaminating of the hose so it may appear normal to the passing glance.

Toms answer sounds far more technically down the right path.. and regardless involves the purchase of another toy.... which let's face it is always a good thing :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just another thought... are you comparing like with like tyre size wise which can make a big difference if you have pluggers on one and standard small skinnies on another.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

It's almost certain to be hoses, and/or possibly a clogged intercooler

- though the efforts of anyone who as tried to correct the problem without checking the hoses may, if they have done, have caused further problems, e.g. over-fuelling. I'll bet there's many a good engine or turbo sitting in garages for the sake a few quids worth of rubber!

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

On or around Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:05:38 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

IME:

1) if you leave the turbo boost at standard, you'll have a job to do damage without it being really obvious due to clouds of black smoke. 2) optimising the pump settings will improve it and you can on some engines improve it by advancing the pump timing a few degrees. 3) don't up the boost without increasing the intercooler capacity.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cheers for all the ideas. I will have a look at this today as an Easter treat to myself. I will try the hoses first and then whip the intercooler out and clean it out. Got just the stuff!!

I'm estimating that its about 10-20% down on the Disco I drove. I really hope it is the hoses!

I've got a cuppa and some buscuit so I'm going to read Dereks' post now!

Wish me luck, i'm going in!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Well. I seem to have found the problem. I took the intercooler hoses off, which were in perfect condition, as was the intercooler. rather miffed I had a good look around and after a few minutes I found the root of the problem. The hose between the diaphragm on the top of the fuel pump and the turbo had a hole in it. The plastic is very hard and looks like it had been cut at some point in time. You could barely see the mark in it, but once you took a hold it opened up.

I took the one of my wrecked disco and seems to have cured it. I'm assuming that this diaphragm increases the fuelling when the turbo is on boost which kind of ties in with the problems i was having. I still have the need for speed though so I reckon a larger intercooler is the way forward.

Aplogies to the people painting their house up the road as I raced past them every 10 minutes testing the wagon.

I think I still may get a boost gauge. Something to watch now I can't use my mobile phone.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

you will too!

Austin, Care to elaborate on advancing the pump timing? Is it tricky? I'd like to try it on my 300Tdi Regards TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:29:47 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

Not really tricky. Proceed as for "setting timing" in the book, make sure it's actually set per book, for the pump and the camshaft. having done that, pump timing is done by slackening the pump pulley on its flange and moving it. What I did is to leave the pump locking pin in, remove the other locking pins and then back the engine off a bit, having slackened the pump pulley. reversing the engine takes the pump pulley (but NOT the pump) back to a bit earlier in the cycle, then re-tighten the pulley bolts and test drive it.

If it sounds excessively clattery, especially when pulling, you've gone too far. Same sort of thing as a petrol engine pinking.

I'd go no more than about 3 degrees for a first attempt. You can always do it again...

You'll want to measure the circumference of the pulley and divide by 360 to see how far to move it, or you can guess, like I did - but my guesses are based on years of experience with timing marks on that sort of size pulley; it's better to work out that one degree is (e.g.) 2mm on the pulley rim and make a mark to judge it by.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:29:47 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

usual disclaimers, of course: if you break your engine don't come crying to me :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles