Re: Disco drop down screen / monitor ?

Out of the 1000's of Discovery's made, I have never heard of anyone hitting people in the blind spot. Seems quite an expense to me, a 5" colour display will cost you £150 - £200 and a B+W one £100 ish, then add a camera on top of that! Worth it if you was reversing a 40 foot artic.

Alistair

Has anyone sucessfully fitted a dropdown screen to the headlining of a disco > ? I'm considering fitting a monitor / bumper camera system to my 2001 ES > (before I squash someone in the rear blind spot behind the spare wheel). > > The headlining has a console mounted at 45 degrees for the two sunroof > buttons, then to the rear there is a flat area with a knockout for a > single switch (for what ?) where I think it will fit. > > Also what is a good wiring route from this position back to the centre of > the rear bumper - do the trims down the winscreen pillars come off and > is there a channel route along parallel to the cills? > > Anyone got a source of drop down screens? > > TIA > > Andrew > >
Reply to
Alistair Echlin

Given the rate I get through wing mirrors I'd be interested in any ways people have to stop cretins smashing them as they drive past too close. The last wing mirror I lost (Sunday night) went just a few hours after I removed the large trailer that was a foot wider than the Discovery each side. I half wish I'd left it on (but it wasn't my trailer, so probably a good thing I didn't)!

Perhaps some brake fluid, under pressure, so it strips the paint off the offending car?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I suspect that this would only be effective if it were the same offender each time...

Reply to
Mother

If you are going for a Monitor, then why not just fit a DVD player as well, May as well get some pleasure out of it, besides seeing how many OAP's you can knock down.

Reply to
Igundwane

Or try the new reverse parking aid beeper thingy that's available on the current models? ISTR it is now available as a retrofit to all Series II Discoverys.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

there are some DIY kits in Maplins for reversing sensor

Reply to
Nikki

Or buy the whole unit for 15 quid. I prefer not to rely upon such things miself, however a reversing camera is somewhat essential when getting a 101 ambi into some gaps. Either that or a good sense of smell...

Reply to
Mother

Retrofitted reverse sensors for a 2001 Disco are £444 plus VAT dealer fitted !!!!!!! And then they are only the straightforward type that bleep faster as you approach, not the ones with an led readout of guesstimated distance.

I did a 'proof of concept' lash up today with a bullet camera gaffer taped to the towing bracket, and a 4" TFT screen that I have tucked in in front of the low/high range gear knob. Worked very well - brilliant for reversing smack onto a towing hitch - only drawback is I cannot left / right mirror image on my screen so it's a bit confusing at first. One thing that this test has proved to me is that it is very important to get the camera on the vehicles centre line.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:40:53 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson" made me spill my meths by writing:

A small mirror might help, mount the camera at 90 degrees? You will have a reversed image. Starting to get a bit fiddly now though :)

Put a disc on the trailer/caravan and mark the circle on the screen when all is connected. Hopefully you should be able to reverse up to the disc and judge the distance accurately enough to be able to lower the hitch in the right place. Well it works for the Russians and Mir, oh dear, didn't he bump into it. Well, the Land Rover should be almost as airtight as Mir so no worries there...

I have come up behind a 110 on the A64 at York and a second time on the A59 in Harrogate. It had a small camera in what I assume would have been the pto hole. The camera was recessed so peripheral vision was limited but it was at a good height to see most.

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Found this:

Might be of use?

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Andrew, I addressed this problem years ago when an old dear decided to cross at the rear when I was reversing. I simply fitted a sounder, wired from the reverse light. Wakes em up anyway, as it should do. Never less you need to keep your eyes open anyway for those that maybe cant see or hear quite as much as the able person. And yes it does make your hair stand on end when they appear in the mirror from nowhere. YIKES

Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

Dave,

Nice one !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In relation to the actual thread's subject line.

I just bought a 5.6" colour flip down monitor in a proper housing incorporating two roof lights, a TV tuner (PAL system suitable for European countries) with self search and channel setting function, FM modulator so that you connect it to your existing sound system, wireless control for the TV tuner (volume, channel search and selection, FM modulator frequency setting, scan function) and one diversity antenna (the ones used for in car TV tuners) all for 500 Euros.

If the original poster is interested you can contact me directly at pantgATotenet.gr by replacing the AT with the proper symbol existing on top of the number 2 on your keyboard.

What you will only have to pay extra will be the postage from Greece to the UK (around 35 Euros for air mail. A bit more if you want it express and registered delivery. Courier service also available but this will be more expensive)

The only thing missing will be a rear view camera but I can ask for one if you wish. The tuner has two dedicated Video jack inputs which you can use either for one VCR/DVD or game console signal and a rear/front view camera or one front and one rear camera (I am using one front and one rear camera for my plaything's monitoring system which is fitted with two remotely located 5.6" monitors and cameras. The flip down monitor is to be installed on the civilized Disco.)

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos