tire pressure monitor

When you rotate tires on a car with the pressure monitor, how does the computer know that what was the front right is not the left rear?
Does the computer sensor know from what direction the signal is coming from?

The computer only knows the specific tire on 2006-and-under models. Those vehicles had "initiator" type sensors that communicated with little transponders above each wheel. Those transponders then talked to the TPMS control unit.
2007+ vehicles have "initiator-less" sensors. With this system, the computer has no information on which specific tire is low. You must check the pressure in /all/ tires, including the spare (if it has a sensor).
--
Tegger

incorect. My TL shows each tire in the MID display (2008).

.

That's just the tire /number/, not the tire /location/.
Where is that tire number on the four corners of the car? The initiator-less TPMS does not know. That's why you need to check all four.
--
Tegger

2010 RDX graphically shows 4 tires and their corresponding pressures

OK, I made a mistake.
I just checked Honda's Techinfo site ( https://techinfo.honda.com ). I used not to be able to get access to this site because it was for US-only. This meant I had to rely on other documentation, which was not always complete. Well, now Techinfo is available to Canadians as well, so I have access to more info than before.
So, the upshot is that it looks like...
MOST 2007+ Honda models have initiator-less TPMS. Higher-end models (e.g.: Odyssey Touring) have initiator-type TPMS.
ALL Acura models with TPMS (except for Civic-based vehicles) have initiator-type TPMS.
Therefore, all (non-Civic) Acuras with TPMS are able to tell you specifically which tire it is that's low, because they have a little transponder above each specific wheel that communicates directly with the sensor in that wheel.
--
Tegger

says...

<snip>
Tegger,
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the Civic-based Acuras?
Thanks,

CSX and EL (which are Canada only), RSX, and the Integra.
I think only the CSX has a TPMS.
--
Tegger

says...

Thank you. I was trying to figure what current production models in the U.S. were civic-based and now I know why I couldn't think of any.

American Honda does not market any Civic-based vehicles under its Acura brand.
Canada's standard of living is lower, so Honda Canada needed to give its Acura dealers a Civic-based car so they'd have something cheap to sell.
--
Tegger

says...

U.S. Acura dealers sold the RSX until the 2007 model year.
I thought the whole idea of the entry-level/near luxury vehicle was to attract young buyers to a particular brand when they are young and keep them as customers as they age and their income increases. For example sell the person just out of university an RSX, then a TL several years later, and finally an MDX or RL.
Now, I think a TSX starts around $30K U.S.