Would love all your opinion's on 1973 carawagon

Hi,

I've been looking to buy my first Landrover project for several months now.. various ones have come and gone for a whole variety of reasons, but I have just been offered a 1973 2625cc Petrol - 2 Axle rigid body Carawagon... apparantly the V5 states it is "Historic" I know that it hasn't been moved for the past 3 years, and hasn't been started for approx 1 year, but all parts are present and correct, now assuming the chassis is ok and not in need of replacement how much would you say this is worth ?... and how much would it be worth assuming I got it back to a near original state ?

Answers on a postcard to .........

Seriously though... I know a better description about its condition would help, and photos would be even better, but I haven't actually seen it myself yet, I'm going to view it this week.. but I can't find out anything about them... how popular they are, would it be worth keeping it as a carawagon or should I just put a standard top on it ?

So many questions....

thanks in advance for your replys.

Reply to
Mike

months now..

Carawagon...

carawagon or

The 2.6 litre 6 pot petrol engine is a very thirsty beast in my experience. I used to tow a trailer with one in an S2A long wheelbase safari, often getting about 9.8 miles to the gallon in hilly country!!! I sold that safari and bought a 2.25 litre diesel Slll and got 22 mpg with same trailer and hills. The power on the diesel was awful. I then had a turbo fitted by a place in Ross-on-Wye. We then could fly up hills and the fuel consumption only dropped to 21 mpg ! Estimated 30-33 % power increase. Since then I've only bought turbo diesels.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

Roberts uttered summat worrerz funny about:

2 Engines £10.51 off ebay...200 miles to collect though.

Must be some attraction JLO was purchased by a Chap in the US and exported over there after being pampered by the family. JLO wasn't a Carawagon though. I'd check it runs ok and doesn't burn oil. If thats ok then being a carawagon I wouldn't expect it's done a massive milage. The rest is going to be on condition basically. If you are specifically after a carawagon (which it sounds like you're not) it's worth what you're willing to pay based on condition.

JLO was very very tidy and went for just shy of £2000 plus export costs to the purchaser, JLO was a 109 Station wagon 2.6 more details on the site below plus some images of the repairs which will give a good idea what to check.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Being a Carawagon makes it fairy rare, and it sounds as though it's pretty original. Whatever you do, if you're not going to keep it as is then offer it to the Carawagon/Dormobile clubs before doing anything - it's a little bit of LR history. Of course is't your motor, but......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for the feedback - I'd kinda already made my mind up that I should be looking for a diesel, but as this one was offered and seemed a little more interesting and rare I though it may be worth a closer look. I'm definately going to see it in a couple of days... maybe I'll take some pics and ask again.

Cheers,

Mike

Reply to
Mike