1990 ES250 V6 Spark Plug Tube Seals

Hi

What are Spark Plug Tube Seals?

I am about to order spark plugs and change them on my 1990 ES250 V6 and I see something called Spark Plug Tube Seals for $50 a set. Do / should I get them sice I am changing the spark plugs?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

The spark plug tube seals prevent oil from the valve train from getting into the spark plug tubes. The spark plugs are at the bottom of a fairly long tube, and the ignition wires have a solid extension to reach the spark plugs from the top of the valve cover. Changing the spark plug tube seals requires removing the valve covers, so the job is more involved than merely changing spark plugs. To see what is involved in replacing the spark plug tube seals, go to this web site:

choose Generation 2 Camry (1987-1991), then go to the Engine Mechanical section and scroll down to the bottom of page EM-101. When you pull off the spark plug ignition wires, if they are dry and oil-free, the spark plug tubes are OK and do not need replacement. If the bottom of the tube is filled with oil, then they need replacement.

Reply to
Ray O